Numbers/iWork ninjas, I need your help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iRock1, May 25, 2015.

1. iRock1 macrumors 6502a

iRock1

Hi, people,

Sorry for the lack of specificity in the title, but I have several questions regarding Numbers (3.0.1). Hopefully you can answer most of them! :)

1) I created a big table in Pages, which has reached what seems to be the maximum of rows allowed by the app (999). Now I desperately need to copy that table to a Numbers spreadsheet. I just tried selecting and copying the table, then pressing ⌘V on Numbers, but nothing happens. How can I do that?

2) When I work with a table in Pages, every time I type the first few letters of a word in a new cell, the app will suggest other words already used in the same table. However, Numbers doesn't do that. How can I implement that behaviour in the app?

3) Is it possible to do in Numbers the same that I asked in the previous question, but considering the words that I've already used in other spreadsheets? Hopefully there's an easy way to do this that doesn't imply making a database with other app or something like that...

Thanks a lot in advance!

2. dyt1983, May 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: to remove personally identifying information not relevant to the thread.

3. iRock1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRock1

Regarding the first question, yes, that's exactly what I did but nothing happened. I guess it was a bug or lack of features in the earlier versions of the new Numbers app. Anyway, I already solved the issue using Excel, lol.

Regarding the second and third issues, I went to the menu that you mentioned but there was no such option. Again, it looks like it's a problem of the earlier versions of Numbers. Sadly I'm stuck because I don't want to "upgrade" to Yosemite.

4. dyt1983 macrumors 65816

Depending on your reason for using Numbers instead of Excel, if you don't want to change to Yosemite then you might want to give LibreOffice a try. It's pretty good. A lot of features were removed in the later versions of Numbers--I thought the cell completion stuff worked way back. LIbreOffice is missing some key features that Excel has such as cell pattern fills, but it does do quite a bit and may do all that you need.