Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrFusion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
West-Europe
I want to format numeric values with a dot instead of a comma: 4.5 instead of 4,5.
Normally you have to adjust the region settings in System Preferences to get this across all apps.
This was the case for Numbers as well.

But with El Capitan: Numbers is not using my custom format. Not even after rebooting.
How can I force Numbers in El Capitan to use dots instead of commas for numeric values?

flashy-cat

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2007
UK
God knows why the rest of Europe isn't standardised to using a decimal point anyways.

MrFusion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
West-Europe
Probably the same reason why the US is stuck with imperial system instead of metric. Inertia and unwillingness to change. Occasionally it even results in a crashed mars lander.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
Probably the same reason why the US is stuck with imperial system instead of metric. Inertia and unwillingness to change. Occasionally it even results in a crashed mars lander.

I'm certainly not going to defend the US's refusal to go metric. It makes no sense to me.

But your example is off the mark. Strictly speaking, it wasn't because imperial units were used. The orbiter (not lander) disintegrated because Lockheed's software sent data in imperial units to NASA's software, which was expecting metric values. The issue was a mismatch. Obviously there would have been no mismatch if Lockheed had produced metric data. But there would also have been no mismatch if NASA had been expecting imperial. It was a communications/management issue.

This does nothing to solve your problem, I know.

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
I want to format numeric values with a dot instead of a comma: 4.5 instead of 4,5.
Normally you have to adjust the region settings in System Preferences to get this across all apps.
This was the case for Numbers as well.

But with El Capitan: Numbers is not using my custom format. Not even after rebooting.
How can I force Numbers in El Capitan to use dots instead of commas for numeric values?
hmm?

I switched my region to France, and Numbers 3.6 properly calculated =3/2 as 1,5
switched it back to US, and the result is 1.5.

So what's the issue here? How might we replicate this anomalous behavior that you're experiencing?

MrFusion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
West-Europe
hmm?

I switched my region to France, and Numbers 3.6 properly calculated =3/2 as 1,5
switched it back to US, and the result is 1.5.

So what's the issue here? How might we replicate this anomalous behavior that you're experiencing?

No idea. In system preferences the numbers are displayed as expected. I tried changing it a few times and restarting numbers but no dice. First time I am experiencing this odd behaviour.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.