Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Miss Trust

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2016
I notice that my little icon on my mac has some numbers on it. They were not there before.
Would this be an indication that I might have been hacked. Attached is what it looks like

Attachments

• HD.jpg.png
    HD.jpg.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 100

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
I don't see any numbers.

That looks like the disk was renamed to: ';lrewqASDFGH' (including the single-quotes), which looks a lot like someone typing a left-hand home sequence on a QWERTY keyboard.

Miss Trust

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2016
I can't drag anything, guess there is nothing underneath. When I try to drag, it just moves that whole thing around. Weird.

Miss Trust

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2016
Thanks for your help Chown. I was on another mac forum also and he told me that some children or pets did that and he showed me how to fix it. Yes, it was my cat, she gets up here a lot.

Here is his reply:

No, you haven't been hacked. Somehow, the Macintosh HD icon was selected and renamed with miscellaneous characters. Sometimes people click it without knowing. Other times, pets or children tab combinations of keys on the keyboard and that is the result. :)

You can simply click once on the hard drive icon to select it, wait a second or two, then click once on those letters and it will change to editable mode. Then simply type in Macintosh HD or whatever your hard drive was titled and press Return.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Does anyone else have physical access to your computer? As chown33 pointed out, it looks like someone clicked on the icon and then "mashed" on the keyboard. It's trivial to rename it back by clicking it and pressing Return.

Edit: You posted while I was typing that. Cat it is! :)

BaggieBoy

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2012
UK
Same happened to me, cat sat on the keyboard and changed the name. However I was unable to rename it back, attempts always failed, saying name was too long even though I was only trying to name it "MacHD". Tried using Disk Utility but still the same. Some software (MS Office apps) failed to run as well. Also backup to Time Machine stopped working. I ended up restoring it from the last backup and all was well again.

Reactions: satcomer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.