Numbers & Pages on Sierra crashing every time opening excel/word doc

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MythicFrost, Feb 27, 2017.

  1. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

    MythicFrost

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2009
    Location:
    Australia
    #1
    I've got an iMac 2013 running the latest version of Sierra. Recently clean installed.

    The issue is that every time I open an Excel document in Numbers, it crashes immediately. Even a blank document.

    I also have another identical Mac also on the latest version of Sierra -- issue doesn't happen at all. Numbers on iPhone works fine too. Can even export it as a Numbers document and send it to the Mac and it works.

    Tried uninstalling, removing all pref files, re-installing... works the first time but then every time after that it causes it to crash.

    It also crashes when exporting a Numbers document in the Excel format. These problems all happen with Pages & Word too.

    Any idea how I can troubleshoot this...?
     
  2. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #2
    Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling Numbers and Pages?
     
  3. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

    MythicFrost

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2009
    Location:
    Australia
    #3
    I did indeed, at least with Numbers. I plan on trying again when I have some time tomorrow, but that aside I can't really think of anything else to test.
     
  4. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

    BrianBaughn

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2011
    Location:
    Baltimore, Maryland
    #4
    See if it crashes if you're logged into a new, test User Account.
     
  5. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

    MythicFrost

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2009
    Location:
    Australia
    #5
    Good idea! I tried that and found the issue didn't occur.

    I managed to figure it out. I found deleting the "AvailableFonts" file (I used CleanMyMac) would stop it from crashing... until it recreates that file. I went into Font book and there were ~200 duplicate fonts -- I "automatically resolved" them and deleted the AvailableFonts file again. Everything started working again... and I noticed the AvailableFonts file it recreated was smaller in size.
     

Share This Page