Numbers & Pages on Sierra crashing every time opening excel/word doc

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MythicFrost, Feb 27, 2017.

1. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I've got an iMac 2013 running the latest version of Sierra. Recently clean installed.

The issue is that every time I open an Excel document in Numbers, it crashes immediately. Even a blank document.

I also have another identical Mac also on the latest version of Sierra -- issue doesn't happen at all. Numbers on iPhone works fine too. Can even export it as a Numbers document and send it to the Mac and it works.

Tried uninstalling, removing all pref files, re-installing... works the first time but then every time after that it causes it to crash.

It also crashes when exporting a Numbers document in the Excel format. These problems all happen with Pages & Word too.

Any idea how I can troubleshoot this...?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling Numbers and Pages?

3. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I did indeed, at least with Numbers. I plan on trying again when I have some time tomorrow, but that aside I can't really think of anything else to test.

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

See if it crashes if you're logged into a new, test User Account.

5. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Good idea! I tried that and found the issue didn't occur.

I managed to figure it out. I found deleting the "AvailableFonts" file (I used CleanMyMac) would stop it from crashing... until it recreates that file. I went into Font book and there were ~200 duplicate fonts -- I "automatically resolved" them and deleted the AvailableFonts file again. Everything started working again... and I noticed the AvailableFonts file it recreated was smaller in size.