NUMBERS spreadsheet entries lost

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cecelia's, Feb 1, 2011.

1. cecelia's macrumors newbie

Hi, I don't know if I am posting in the correct place.....Does anyone know if a document in NUMBERS can be retrieved if it was not saved. My MAC Book froze. ( I think it is the first time it has ever happened) .. And so not knowing what else to do I used the on/off switch to turn it off......alas when I reopened my entries on the spreadsheet was not there. A couple hours of work gone and I wonder if it is still in the computer somewhere? Hopeful.....

Thanks for any ideas......

2. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

Ouch!

Generally, applications either keep their data in memory or saved to a temporary directory that is cleared out each time the computer boots up. I don't know what Numbers does specifically (maybe someone else does), but I think it's likely that your work is lost.

A second issue is the question of why your computer froze... that shouldn't have happened. You may want to use the Verify Disk option in Disk Utility just to make sure everything's kosher after that forced restart, too.

Good luck!

3. Mactrillionaire macrumors regular

This is usually a hard disk or logic board issue. I would recommend for you to determine if there is a problem with the hard disk as the poster above suggested. It is probably easier to test the hard disk on another computer so you can avoid a potential freeze while testing. Then, if you green light the hard disk as fine, take the computer in for service and suggest that the logic board needs replacement. If you find a problem with the hard disk, you can get another hard disk. Of course, the first step should be to back up your current hard disk on another computer before doing anything else (if you don't already have a backup).

4. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Most of us here and I certainly include myself in this, learn through hard experience that for long working sessions, you periodically need to close the document and re open it, just in case this sort of thing happens.

In fact recent versions of Microsoft office effectively do this, so in that case after a crash you would typically see some sort of message about recovering the version you were working on. I dont believe Numbers does that and even if it does its obviously not worked in your case.

So sorry, you will have to start again, consider it the price of a lesson learned that may save you from much worse computing calamities in the future.

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I used this for a long time to get my iWork apps to autosave and help avoid this issue: autosave4iwork. Works really well, though occasionally you'll get a dialog popping up that says there's nothing to save or something like that. Minor annoyance that's worth it to me to not have to remember to save. I got myself in the habit of saving after any significant change though, and I haven't reinstalled that script since I moved to my new computer.

As for the data you had, I'm sorry to say there's nothing that can be done to recover it at this point. Any caches that might have stored the data are almost certainly wiped out by this now.

jW