Numbers starting do disappear from product names

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by Batman89, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Batman89 macrumors 6502

And I say that's a good thing. The three main products from the recent keynote were

- Apple Watch
    - iPhone SE
    - iPad Pro

No numbers associated anywhere. My prediction is that this will carry over to the Fall iPhone's naming. The number "7" or any number really, will no long be apart of the product's name:

- iPhone (4.7 inch)
    - iPhone Pro (5.5 inch)

To differentiate from the models, there's already a number associated with the products: the release year.

2016 iPhone vs 2017 iPhone
    2016 iPhone Pro vs 2017 iPhone Pro

Cars have the same naming scheme.

2. cableguy84 macrumors 6502a

cableguy84

3. Noble Actual macrumors 6502a

Its time for...

iPhone Galaxy

iPhone Nebulas

iPhone Supernova

iPhone Andromeda

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

And…given past history few people will keep it straight.

Excuse me while I go fire up my PowerMac Book Pro G5! It's running 10.10 Leopard and I do all my work on it in Adobe! :eek:

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, to be fair, the Apple Warch and iPad Pro are first generations of their product lines. The iPad Air was like that too...until the iPad Air 2.

6. shftoptk macrumors member

shftoptk

The difference between cars and phones is that Toyota doesn't manufacture, advertise, and sell a 2013 model. Apple does, or did before the SE. They still make, advertise and sell the Mini 2 on apple's website.
    Most people would think the year they bought their phone = the year the phone actually is. For example, I bought my 5s from Apple in 2015, therefore it's a 2015 phone. Technically it was manufactured in 2015, but it's really the 2013 iPhone.

The idea works with computers and devices that don't get updated often.

7. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Some car manufacturers do use numbers for their cars.

8. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

The new iPad. iPad with retina display. IPad Air. All iPods. All Macs.

No numbers. This is not a new thing. But anyway, they should just ditch it for the iPhone anyway, and go with year in promotion material. And stop renaming the iPad every two generations for no reason.

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, there is iPad Air 2.

10. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I have a feeling Apple may be trying to differentiate themselves from Samsung, who's using similar naming. I can't remember, nor do I care, who started the number game, but someone has to change.

11. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

You totally missed the point.

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

The point being?

13. smacrumon Suspended

smacrumon

iPhone SE is a holding pattern release until three iPhone 7 models are released in mini regular and plus variants. Apple messed up by not releasing a 4 inch phone in the 6/6s cycle, 4 inch users too want flagship designs. SE will be relegated to budget/entry model status with a slight price drop in Sep/Oct. Yes, in just a matter of six months.
    Numbers seem useful in clearly indicating a new model.

14. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

Maybe they could re-use old Apple names, like iPhone Performa or iPhone Leopard (special edition with a spotted case). Or they could play off of the Apple Macintosh idea: the iPhone Granny Smith.

15. Tech198 macrumors G4

Apple like going by release... maybe going back to old habits would cause confusion..

16. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

On a recent Mac Observer podcast Bryan Chaffin threw a fit over the 9.7" iPad being called iPad Pro. I've heard this come up on other Apple-centric podcasts. Some have even taken to calling the 9.7" device the "baby iPad Pro". I don't understand why. iMacs, MacBook Pros and MacBook Airs come in multiple sizes but they don't have different names. Nobody calls the 13" MBP the "baby MBP". I do hope that Apple gets rid of numbers. Not necessary anymore.