Numbers vs Free Office Apps - alternatives

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by jack92029, Oct 24, 2012.

1. jack92029 macrumors member

When using Windows there is Open Office (Free), Chrome has Docs (free), But Apple charges $10 for each app (Numbers; Pages; Keynote; etc.) used on an iPad.

Why does Sun and Google offer their Office products for free while Apple charges for weaker apps?

My new Retina iPad is on a FEDEX airplane somewhere over the Pacific Ocean as I write this, so my question is:

Can I open Chrome on my iPad and run "Docs" which offers a very nice spreadsheet application, on my iPad or do I need to spend $10 on the Apple Numbers App. which doesn't appear to have as many features?

I am able to access Chrome Docs on my iMac and it syncs the files with my Windows notebook. I would like to have access to the same files on my iPad. Can this be done?

2. infotakes macrumors newbie

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I can only guess what Chrome Docs are. But you could try Google Drive and I think you will be pleased.

Don't know why you seem so personally hurt that Apple charges for a piece of software. They certainly aren't the first. And $10-30 is a drop in the bucket compared to Office.

edit: just saw your third line. Don't get all huffy and puffy before you even have a device. Get it, play with it, explore the app store. There's a lot of available tools out there.

4. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Wow, 6 months before anyone replied to the OP??? That's unusual. :eek:

5. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

Not when it's someone self-promoting. In that case it's quite usual for an old thread to be dredged up. :rolleyes:

Regards,
    Tom

6. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I assume you mean that the OP and the first replier are the same person. I kind of thought that when I looked at it, but I have no way to be sure nor do I care.

7. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

No, not in this case. Here, the self-promoter searches for a thread that's at least marginally related to what they are promoting, so that their post looks like an innocent, helpful reply. Usually there's no such current thread, so they pull up an old one. Kind of annoying....

Regards,
    Tom

8. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Gotcha, I was surprised that it went on for 6 months before any reply. Though that could have been easily lost in the shuffle if many threads were started on the same day around the same time.