Numeric Keypad on PB or MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by offwidafairies, Aug 9, 2007.

1. offwidafairies macrumors 6502a

offwidafairies

Hi I have a PB (hoping to upgrade to MBP soon) and I often use keyboard shortcuts in Sibelius that involve the full keyboard - including the numeric keypad. When travelling, in the past I have taken a full size keyboard along with me to use. However this is bulky and impractical at times. I find it frustrating to use the function keys as to use the numeric keypad within the PB keypad and its often even quicker to use the mouse.

I have heard that simply plugging in a usb numeric keypad has the same effect as the function key - it turns off the main keys????? Is this true?

2. offwidafairies thread starter macrumors 6502a

offwidafairies

I guess no one knows the answer...
    Im just trying to decide whether to buy the new fullsize apple keyboard, or a smaller cheaper numeric pad which may not work properly...... :confused:

3. composerdude macrumors newbie

Same issue!

Hey Man, I'm a Sibelius user as well, but aside from having a full keyboard haven't come to any real conclusion on what to do about keypads.. the only ones I can find that will claim to be compatible with Mac are El-Cheapo with calculators, but someone else posted This Link to a logitec number pad..
    I'm wondering if you came up with a solution to your issue other than just carting around a keyboard, and if you were brave enough to buy somethign to try it out.. ;)

4. Can macrumors member

You can always try to bring your MBP to a store were they sell numeric-pads and ask them to try if it works the way you want it to work.

I'm sure if you say that you will buy it if it works you will be allowed to try it out :)

5. composerdude macrumors newbie

Thanks Can,
    I feel a bit stupid for not thinking of that.. I'm not sure of many places where I live (in Tasmania, Australia) that will have the floor stock to try out.. but i'll have a look around. THANKS!

6. offwidafairies thread starter macrumors 6502a

offwidafairies

Still have not come up with a solution - I heard those small numeric pads take over the same as pressing the numlock. I have not tried this out to be sure. Im still carting around a full size keyboard :(
    Let me know if you have any good results with the numeric pad?? Thanks :)