Numerical Simulations with lid closed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NP Hard, Aug 5, 2014.

1. NP Hard macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm a graduate student in Computer Sciences, and as a part of my studies I need to run numerical simulations (large amounts of memory, taking a long time to run - sometimes hours, sometimes days).

My current computer setup is an MBA 13" at home and a non-Retina 15" MBP supplied by the university. Until recently (long story), we've had a set of servers to use for running experiments. However, this is no longer the case.

As a result, I'm left needing a replacement. My MBP has an i7 processor (4 cores) with 16GB of memory. My plan is to convert my MBP into an "easily luggable" compute node, which can sit on my desk in the office in clamshell mode (connected to a monitor) and crank out experiments. The reason we've usually not ran experiments on our laptops directly is that they've often had to run for many hours or many days, so it's been more convenient to have a remote machine run them.

All of my programming and other miscellaneous stuff can be then done on the MBA, and I can access the MBP over ssh. If I want to work on the weekends, or on the holidays I can then bring the MBP home with me.

Now, assuming the MBP is powerful enough to run my experiments (I think it should be), is there any problem with running the MBP in this manner (lid closed, high CPU/GPU usage for hours on end)?

Thanks.

2. Montymitch macrumors regular

Montymitch

Have you tried running some of your experiments in clamshell and monitoring the heat? Overheating would be my primary concern, and if it's running cool enough I'd say go for it. However, I'm just a guy on the internet.
    Now go enjoy a VB for me.

3. NP Hard thread starter macrumors newbie

From what I've tried it's OK, but I've only run it for an hour or so. My concern is whether doing it for longer periods of time will have adverse effects.

Ewww, VB. I'm a James Boags man myself. ;)

4. Montymitch macrumors regular

Montymitch

I've read that running your computer for long periods is just fine since the temperature holds in one place. Constant on/off hot/cold cycles are what lead to damage due to condensation and expansion/contraction cycles.

When I was in NSW, I couldn't look anywhere without seeing VB or Toohey's adverts.

5. damidget macrumors regular

If you have InsomniaX installed, and you are planning on using it, then you should be fine if you use the CPU Safety function in the preferences of Insomnia.

Attached Files:

6. NP Hard thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd believe it, they don't know what decent quality beer is down there. ;)

I do not have this installed, but this looks interesting. Interestingly enough this should replace Caffeine, no?

7. leman macrumors 604

I have used a number of Mac laptops (including my 2012 15" retina) for a similar purpose, with CPU load of 100% for over 20-30 hours. There were no problems. However, I didn't have CPU and GPU active at the same time (as I don't use GPGPU) and I also didn't close the lid (I didn't see any reason for that).