Numerous problems with iPhone 3GS hardware - Advise on how to fix please?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shippouk, Aug 19, 2011.

1. shippouk macrumors regular

Hey all
    Having dropped my iphone 3GS a few times now (Yes I know I should have used a case or something) I was wonder if anyone could suggest if it i possible and how to fix the following:-

1. When making receiving calls the speaker and microphone work sporadically for a few seconds and then cut out (I think they cut out at the same time though). Then I am left with not being able to hear any sounds coming from the phone at all from the speaker.
    This is my main problem as I cant use it as a phone due to this.

Most of the time the speaker just doent work AT ALL though. (I cant tell if the mics working all the time or not)
    Nothing can be heard from the loudspeaker, but more than occasionally a very loud HISS sound will start coming from the unit until I twist the case as per below fault.
    Sometimes resetting the phone will make the sounds work again. Mostly is doesnt.

2. My screen sometimes will not show anything at all unless I kind of hold both sides and twist the case (twist it top left to bottom right) and then the screen will display again. Very occasionally this will not resolve the problem though, but if I hard reset the phone it will usually make it display again.

3. My headphone socket doesnt work anymore (I've given it a good blow and there is nothing stuck in it).

4. The back of my case is slightly cracked near the dock connector (not a major issue) IMAGE ATTACHED

5. The actual LCD screen is damaged (not "Really" a major issue) IMAGE ATTACHED

6. The glass screen has a slight DINK on the right hand side (not a major issue)

I think thats about it. I dont mind having a go at fixing it myself, and spending a bit of money on it.
    You may think this sounds like a lot of things are wrong with it. If possible I will fix everything at once whilst its all apart. But I really dont want to have to buy a new/second hand one to replace it with.

So any suggestions?
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Get the new iPhone when it comes out in a few months and put it into an extremely durable case.

Very sad that your iPhone was subject to such abuse.

3. shippouk, Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2011

shippouk thread starter macrumors regular

This is not the type of "Help" I am looking for.

4. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

What would you expect? Most people are going to tell you to just pony up for a new iPhone instead of going through the headache of trying to fix it yourself. Besides, the cost of fixing everything that's broken on your iPhone would quickly add up, plus the amount of labor involved would just make your life miserable.

When it comes down to it, it's not worth your time and money to try and fix a phone that's over two years old.

My opinion: Just go the easier route and wait it out for a new iPhone with an Otterbox Defender or some other very durable case.

5. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

1) Try a restore and set-up as new iPhone. See if that helps.
    2) If the damage REALLY bothers you and for resale value you could search craigslist for "iPhone Repair" I know (in Toronto at least) there are lots of places who repair iPhone's. http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/mob/2508902147.html
    3) If you are a good DIYer: http://s.dealextreme.com/search/iphone+3gs+parts.html?page=
    dealextreme if you are not familure with it provides cheap, and usually surprisingly good stuff. You could use ifixit for help too.
    hope I helped
    ~Paul

6. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Honestly with all the problems you have it sounds like your best bet would be to bring it to Apple and swap it out for $199.

I am sure you can buy all the parts but to replace them all the cost is going to add up and that is a bunch of stuff to fix... one mess up and there goes your phone.

7. twitt3r macrumors 6502

Yup, you need far more help than can be provided on here...

8. shippouk thread starter macrumors regular

Hi
    Many apologies, but I dont think I've made myself clear enough here with the kind of response I'm looking for.

What I'm looking for is for someone to be able to tell me what the names of the units/parts I need to buy to fix these problems with my phone.
    Thanks

9. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

You're in the wrong forum for that then.

http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=109

10. twitt3r macrumors 6502

Why waste money on parts when you might as well get a new phone with a warranty?

11. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

For your screen issue, a new display + cable should work.

For your casing issues, a new casing.

For your headphone-port...I have no idea.

12. twitt3r macrumors 6502

New headphone port maybe? Or a new phone?

13. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Like I said before, He'd probably have to replace more pieces of the phone than he'd be keeping in it.

Just wait for the iPhone 5 and take care of it this time.

14. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Yes to a new headphone port, but I've never seen/heard of anybody being able to do that. And by anybody, I don't mean big corporations that manufacture these phones.

OP, you're better off buying a new phone. It's going to be more cost-effective. You'd be shelling out somewhere in the hundreds to fix it. And for that price, might as well get a new phone.

15. Paradoxpm macrumors member

Can't bear watching such abuse on an iPhone.

Try ifixit.com.

16. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

OP, the cost of parts will probably exceed the cost of a new phone. I'd recommend selling your iPhone on ebay or Craigslist for parts, and save that money for a new phone.

I know that's not what you wanna hear, but it is what it is. Have you ever tried disassembling an iPhone and working on it? It's not for the faint of heart.

17. shippouk thread starter macrumors regular

I think you guys need to check the dictionary definition of the word ABUSE :)
    Its not like I purposely dropped the phone multiple times.

----------

Well, Ive had a fair few models of ipods apart in my life and recently completely stripped a PS3 apart to sort a Yellow Light Of Death problem, so i do feel confident I can do it.
    I may pop into my local Apple Store and see if they suggest anything (And by that I mean them sell me one for cheap - I do after all own quiet a few Apple products which I'm sure they have logged in their system so who knows).

18. EddyP, Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2011

EddyP macrumors 6502

Sad. You asked for help and got little of it. Then your post gets voted down. Why? Who the hell knows. Probably because you don't keep your iPhone on a silk pillow and treat it better than your car. I will never understand some people around here. It's not like you are bitching because the thing broke. You just want to know how to fix it. "just buy an iphone 5" surely doesn't help either.

This is certainly the wrong place to ask for help repairing your phone. Most people here wouldn't know how to solder or use a multimeter to diagnose problems. Sorry I have no help (like most others here). Good luck though. If you do find more information on the technical details of repairing the phone, please report back. There has to be a better resource for the technical ins and outs of the iPhone.

Someone above recommended www.ifixit.com. That seems like a good place to start. They have a section to help diagnose problems. That may help you determine what needs replacing. Good luck!

19. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

That it is. Some of the people here are completely over-the-top with Apple. It's only a company, folks, which makes good products. If another company made a better one (Or one that I liked better), I'd switch. Like Android.

Sad that both your post, and mine will most likely be voted down.

20. shippouk thread starter macrumors regular

What does "Voting Down" do anyway? I've never even heard of it until now.
    I've never seen it on any other forums....ever.
    Maybe your right, this probably isnt "The best" place to ask questions like this.

EddyP & fireshot91 - We're definitely thinking on the same wavelength here :)

21. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I would look at craigslist and see how much it would cost to get it fixed. You're going to crack the case open or drop it once again to open it up? When are you eligible for an upgrade? It would probably be cheaper to just replace it even if Apple offers you a $199 replacement.