Nvdia Hybrid SLI on MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Atomicfission92, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Atomicfission92 macrumors regular

From Apple Insiders MBP Review.

" NVIDIA's Hybrid SLI architecture is designed to allow notebooks to switch between processors, and additionally use what the company calls its "Hybrid SLI GeForce Boost" to team both GPUs together for greater speed. Both features are available under Windows using NVIDIA's software....."

Does that mean if you run Windows using Boot Camp you can use the Nvidia drivers you can use the Hybrid SLI? Has anyone tried this?

So essentially the MBP is a better gaming laptop then most of the Windows laptops out there if this is true.

2. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

I think last I heard the motherboard isn't capable of it no matter what OS you're using.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

IIRC, Apple did not enable hybrid SLI architecture in this particular revision. Be it hardware or software , no one knows, but in Windows you do not have the option to switch GPU's. You can only use the 9600m.

4. Atomicfission92 thread starter macrumors regular

I was reading else where online and they said that it seems like Windows is using both. Not one or the other. They didn't have anyway to confirm this but ya never know.

5. akbc macrumors 6502

On Windows or Mac OS X... I really hope this comes true :)

I don't see why it wouldn't work though, unless NVIDIA obviously blocked it off from the logic board itself or something..

But that's why we have smart hackers around the world :)

If my Unibody MBPro can handle 8GB and the whole SLI thing via firmware upgrade.. Heck, I'd even pay apple for that firmware upgrade if I had to :D

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

On Windows the MBP can handly hybrid SLI with dual graphics cards, but you have to download some nvideath driver and software package first to get it working. And of course only works in bootcamp installs.

7. Atomicfission92 thread starter macrumors regular

According to the iFitit guide to the MBP the memory controller that the 15" MBP uses can handle up to 8gb.

8. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Controller can. Firmware can't.

9. JWest macrumors 6502

Is this true? I mean, I use custom drivers anyway on my early '08 MBP, but can the same be done with the unibody MBP to enable Hybrid SLI? I haven't heard this anywhere, but I hope it's true.

10. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Why wouldn't it be true? The hardware is capable of it, it says so both on Nvidia's website, and what that one rep said not too long after the machines launched.

Yay, RivaTuner, I guess.

11. Vancouvercanuck macrumors member

because according to a lot of people, window cant even recongize the 9400m in MBP anyways, how can sli be used?

12. Atomicfission92 thread starter macrumors regular

Its there, We just have to make Windows find it.

13. Vancouvercanuck macrumors member

I know, but for now its impossible to do that.

14. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Yes, it is possible. It's just Apple and Nvidia haven't, as of yet, provided a driver. You have to hack it, although Nvidia has mentioned there should be driver in a few months.