Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Backspacer79

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2019
Madrid, Spain
Hi, this is my specs.

CMP 5.1 mid 2010 original, upgraded to dual intel x5690, 128 RAM 1333 Mhz, SAMSUNG AHCI 951 for boot HIGH SIERRA 10.13.6 slot 3, SAMSUNG 970 EVO (not plus) 2TB for media scratch files slot 4, NVIDIA GTX 1080 from MVC slot 1, USB 3.0 card in slot 2.

I would like to know if I´d get any improvement in video editing with Premiere, Avid MC an Davinci Resolve (not using FCP X, I hate it!) if I install Open Core and hardware acceleration and change GPU to a Vega 56 reference model (in Mojave 10.14.6). Would I notice any faster speed workflow for 4k editing, rendering and transcoding? Or doesn’t worth it?. I’m not working with RED files or other heavy codecs, and not always 4k, in fact, I edit more FHD than 4k.

Thank you guys and congrats for all the great job you do in this forum to keep alive our beloved cheesegraters!

Reactions: OddyOh

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hi, this is my specs.

CMP 5.1 mid 2010 original, upgraded to dual intel x5690, 128 RAM 1333 Mhz, SAMSUNG AHCI 951 for boot HIGH SIERRA 10.13.6 slot 3, SAMSUNG 970 EVO (not plus) 2TB for media scratch files slot 4, NVIDIA GTX 1080 from MVC slot 1, USB 3.0 card in slot 2.

I would like to know if I´d get any improvement in video editing with Premiere, Avid MC an Davinci Resolve (not using FCP X, I hate it!) if I install Open Core and hardware acceleration and change GPU to a Vega 56 reference model (in Mojave 10.14.6). Would I notice any faster speed workflow for 4k editing, rendering and transcoding? Or doesn’t worth it?. I’m not working with RED files or other heavy codecs, and not always 4k, in fact, I edit more FHD than 4k.

Thank you guys and congrats for all the great job you do in this forum to keep alive our beloved cheesegraters!
NVIDIA GPUs that are newer than Kepler (GTX 6xx and GTX 7xx) are not supported past 10.13.6 and no NVIDIA GPU support hardware compression/decompression acceleration at all.

So, once you update from 10.13.6, High Sierra support ends the day Apple releases 10.16, you will need an AMD GPU anyway.

Backspacer79

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2019
Madrid, Spain
Thank you tsialex

I know that I cannot upgrade to mojave with my 1080 and Nvidia doesn't support hardware compression/decompression acceleration, maybe I haven't been clear enough. What I would like to know is which one would be better for video editing:
- CMP high Sierra, NVIDIA 1080 MVC (no hardware acceleration but CUDA power) or
- CMP Mojave, VEGA 56 (with metal and open core-hardware acceleration).
In other words, do I stay in HS 10.13.6 with Nvidia or is it better to upgrade to Mojave with a Vega 56 and instal open core/hardware acceleration? I don't need Catalina or further OS since my plan is to buy a new machine in two years and will not be a problem for me to stay in mojave that time.

Has someone moved from a 1080 to a VEGA 56 (in mojave or catalina) and noticed any improvement for video editing installing hardware acceleration?

Thank you!

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Went from GTX 1080 FE to in High Sierra to RX 580 in Mojave. All the Mac apps have been dropping CUDA support and unless you can run older software application versions, it's difficult to maintain that for the longterm.

Really depends on your applications if it's worth to stuck with High Sierra or go to Mojave/Catalina. With Adobe and Avid, it's becoming MUCH more difficult to run older versions with older OS versions. Those older versions for High Sierra will be EOL'd in 1-2 years and will have trouble with re-activation. Moving onto the "latest" within 6 months of release is becoming the new operating procedure.

Have basically been phasing out the MP5,1 in favor of iMac19,1 and MBP16,1. Using an RX 5700 XT in eGPU with both. Not ideal, but was a stopgap at the start of the COVID19 pandemic with an extended work from home situation. Most client offices were transitioning from MP5,1 to iMac/Pro in some capacity over the last 12-18 months.

BTW, Stickman forever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.