Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Digital Fury

macrumors member
The only problem I can forsee is the heat the 280gtx is going to create - I had one on my pc rig and it literally raised the temperature of the room by several degrees just when I put it in -

I had two 120mm fans on the front pulling in air and two on the back pulling it out and it still got very , very hot , the card did that is

It worked fine so was made to run that hot but not sure what its going to do to your Mac Pro unless you have the case side off and fan blowing in or something -

It was like a space heater and just not sure the default fans on the mac pro are going to provide enough cooling for airflow in and out of the case with that monster in there

It was a great card but the sound and heat and finally was something that pushed me away to the Mac Pro - finally wanted to get rid of the windblower and space heater sitting in the bedroom -
Thanks for the info, I don't mind pushing the fans a bit under OS X using smcFanControl to keep temperatures under 30°C, but I don't think there's anything like it for Windows for the Mac Pro(?).

Also when under OS X, will the fans of the card not used by OS X (e.g. GTX 280) be blowing at full speed or will they settle down to a quiet mode, as the card is not really used.

Digital Fury

macrumors member

Digital Fury

macrumors member
It's currently a nice 21°C where I am right now and with a fairly moderate load with CPUs OCed @3010 MHz and it's showing a cool 29°C with CPU_MEM @600 rpm, IO @900 (got 4x HDs), EXHAUST @700 and PS @600.

Cool while still being silent, besides 30°C is an easy number to remember and monitor.

kahine

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
It's currently a nice 21°C where I am right now and with a fairly moderate load with CPUs OCed @3010 MHz and it's showing a cool 29°C with CPU_MEM @600 rpm, IO @900 (got 4x HDs), EXHAUST @700 and PS @600.

Cool while still being silent, besides 30°C is an easy number to remember and monitor.

Just to warn you , the 280gtx's commonly run 80 Celcius under load - not under load it idles around 60 - so the potential to keep it that cool overall in your case is going to be hard to do

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008
If you havent got something productive to say; Don't say anything - Thank you

What I said what quite productive, thank you quite kindly; the OP can get a cheaper card that does more. Granted at the 256x16 res, a 4870x2 with 2 GB would be more appropriate, but it's still probably a hair cheaper even after nVidia's plummeting prices (and negative profits).

This has been bugging me for a while. Why do people continue to support Nvidia when all they seem to do is create a card that is twice as expensive as its ATI counterpart, and offers a negligible performance increase.

Foolishness.... and tradition. I guess. It's true that that last ATI card that made this much of a splash (and ousted the last nVidia card) was the Radeon 9700 Pro (destroyed the GeForce4 Ti 4600, and thrashed the joke nVidia came out with next, the FX5600), but I don't quite get it.

A couple months ago you heard people on this forum talking about how "AMD sucks," and "will never be able to beat nVidia."

Now, however, they seem rather silent.

m1stake

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Philly
Because until the 12th, the GTX 280 still clings to its sub-10FPS lead when it's only $200 more!!

What a bargain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.