nVidia 330m switching Windows 7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrskitch, Apr 13, 2010.

1. mrskitch macrumors newbie

All you bootcampers out there- how does windows 7 handle the dual graphics cards in the MBP's (especially the new one)? I want to run some emulators/games one my new 15" and was wondering if its something that you have to tell Windows to do or if 7 has its own sort of built in option (which I doubt..)

Maybe optimus will work? Any experiences?

2. DrCheese macrumors member

It won't be built into Windows, this sort of stuff is usually done at driver level. If it was Nvidia optimus, then you could just create a driver from the intel/nvidia drivers.

But as it's an Apple custom one, it's entirely down to them if they support the switching or not. Given their history with the previous generation MBP's, I wouldn't count on it :( (which is a shame) We'll know more once reviews start appearing.

3. TWIXMIX macrumors newbie

I played around with Bootcamp on my new 15" i7. It seems to stick with only using the 330m, no graphics switching. The strange thing is, Windows seems to think the card has over 1300mb of video memory.

Anyone have any idea why this may be?

4. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Has anyone had trouble updating drivers for the 330 in windows? I get an error after trying to install the lastest update.

5. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I think Windows adds virtual vram...

6. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

I tried L4D2 with everything up to "high" on my 15" i5, 1400x900. Smooth experience although the fans went at full tilt!