Nvidia 580, idiot guide please? :)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by philiph, May 2, 2012.

1. philiph, May 2, 2012
    Last edited: May 2, 2012

philiph macrumors newbie

As Nvidia have released the new drivers, allowing there cards to be used on mac pro, I am looking at getting a 580 and replacing my ****** gt120.

All the forum posts seem to say that, with the new drivers installed, they will now plug in straight out of the box.

Would anybody be kind enough as to tell me:

Which power connectors do I need? If anybody could link me the exact ones that would be amazing. Does it need 2 power cables?

Would it be wise to leave the gt120 in, so that i can still have the boot screen?

Newbie, stupid, what ever floats your boat, im confused as hell and just want to be sure i know what im doing before i buy a 580.

Hope some mac wizard can help me :) many thanks for all the info up on the forum already, has been really helpful (although confusing for me)

mac pro 4.1, lion 10.7.3

2. philiph thread starter macrumors newbie

ill reply to myself as seem to have found most answers from other posts and people on here nice enough to reply to me...

to get a 580 to work seems like you need:

1. lion 10.7.3
    2. Nvidia drivers (from their website)
    3. 6-pin to 8-pin converter cables (like these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mac-Pro-PCI...874?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ef994d0a2)
    4. To run it safely without risking damaging your system - an external psu, (e.g http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104054) although using two psu's comes with the risk of damaging your gfx card

Unless you have a "helper card" (e.g gt120) or buy a 580 from macvidcards, you wont get boot screen

thank you degl and Asgorath and cindori for your info on that - if ive got anything wrong please correct me!

A 570 is a simpler choice as no need for external psu - just need converter cables