NVIDIA 650M .inf?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mattonthemoon, Jun 22, 2012.

1. mattonthemoon macrumors regular

mattonthemoon

Anyone been able to get a working .inf and install the latest Beta drivers from NVIDIA? Keeps failing for me. Has anyone had success?

Thanks.

2. Ozy, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012

Ozy macrumors regular

Ozy

Can you help with a bit more detail. I downloaded the driver, extracted it, and downloaded the INF listed on the same page and dropped it into the extracted vid driver subdir and it still errored on install saying it can't find the HW.

I also tried the 302.59 win7x64 driver without success. I'm trying to update the Win7 driver to a series 300 driver. There are some significant performance benefits in Battlefield 3 with 300 series.

3. mattonthemoon thread starter macrumors regular

mattonthemoon

I put the .inf in to the display driver folder, overwrote the old .inf and installed.

Make sure you are using this .inf with v304.48 which can also be found in the link above.

4. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

If you don't mind me asking, why are you needing to modify the drivers already? Is this only for W8, or is the performance bad across all OS'? Mine's coming in Monday; I'm trying to get a list of 'fixes' planned before then.

5. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

I don't have retina macbook pro. but I recently bought samsung chronos 7 quad core i7 ivy bridge. it's equipped with Nvidia GT 640M (DDR5) 1GB. basically, it uses the same driver as 650M. I tried to install beta driver last week. so I uninstalled previous driver, and installed new one. but it didn't recognize and keep failed. so I rolled back to OEM driver. then I tried to reinstall beta in order to overwrite without uninstalling previous one. it kept saying 'can't find graphic card'. so I guess that I have to wait until official driver will be released. I don't want to screw it up. AMD driver had no problem as far as I know. but especially, Nvidia optimus driver seems to have problem after installing new driver. for example, it couldn't recognize dedicate graphic card and only works with intel HD 4000 integrate card. if you go to Nvidia forum, you will see a lot of people who has the same problem. it's not just new graphic but also old one sometimes.

6. mattonthemoon thread starter macrumors regular

mattonthemoon

The graphics driver from NVIDIA is usually faster than Apples since its updated more frequently, and optimized for gaming performance. Apple doesn't support windows gaming so after the initial boot camp drivers for the gpu are released they aren't updated usually to take advantage of bug fixes / optimizations.

This being said since the boot camp drivers are so new you probably don't need to worry about a big difference, yet. I just like to tweak.

7. Ozy macrumors regular

Ozy

The 300 series drivers have significant improvements in Battlefield 3.

8. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

Nvidia beta driver version 304.79 works very well for new graphic card such as GT 640, 640LE, 650, 660, 670GTX and so on. try it. I actually installed it without unsintalling OEM driver. just downloaded beta. executed exe file. that's all I did. I tested several games. it works great. but official driver can't still be installed yet.