Nvidia 6700 ultra fan noise

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by chibiterasu, Mar 29, 2016.

1. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

I meant to post this ages ago when I upgraded the dual 2.3Ghz Power Mac G5 to this card from the ATI 9650. I have the well documented issue of the PCI case fan begin noticeable audible even when the card isn't under load (something that wasn't an issue with the 9650). The machine is running 10.5.8 with all updates installed. All the info I have found about this issue relates to G5's running 10.3 or early versions of 10.4. The old articles from back in 2004 normally relate to driver issues and the amount power draw going to the PCI and AGP slots making the fan run at a higher RPM and the only easy solution I've found is to unplug that fan, but I don't really want to do that. Is there away to manually control the fan to make it a bit quieter?? Surely 10.5.8 should have updated drivers by this time as there was a CD that came with the boxed version of the card but the card came out in somewhere 2003-2004.

Any more modern thoughts on this issue??

2. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

3. chibiterasu thread starter macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

Ooooo an ASD I didn't know this was available that's a great help in its self, (side note: very cool that it works on lots of machines, it will have a second use on my PowerBook G4 when I get around to putting it back together)

Right sorry back to the main point I ran thermal calibration, I don't think it's ever been run on this machine since it left the factory, so it did it's stuff (you know what I don't think I'm ever going to complain about fan noise from this guy agian, people really mean it when they say they can feel the air moving around the room when one of these things is doing its thermal calibration)

Sorry seemed to of drifted off agian, so everything passed and you know what I think that is problem solved, she hums like she used to.

Thanks for your link and thanks for your help :)

4. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

Yeah, what a racket - I leave the room until it's done it's stuff :)

5. chibiterasu thread starter macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

Ah that would of been the clever thing to do, but then agian that was my evenings entertainment.