NVIDIA 7300 Mac Pro Video Card

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by joshwest, Jun 21, 2007.

1. joshwest macrumors 65816

joshwest

hey guys i have a quick dumb question, is the first port on the 7300 the dual dvi port, just got a 30"-er today and wanted to know..

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

There is one dual-DVI and one single-DVI link. :)

[​IMG]

That's a dual-DVI.

3. joshwest thread starter macrumors 65816

joshwest

so it doesnt matter which port they go in? just will only accept one dual link and one regular?

4. CyberPrey macrumors regular

Dual link should have more pins, and should be the one to the RIGHT if you are facing the BACK of the computer...

5. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

Yes, it does matter. Only one of the ports is a dual-link DVI port. I believe it's port #1, but I can't remember which is #1, the top or bottom. If one doesn't work, use the other. Try putting the 30" to it's max resolution of 2560 x 1600. If that port doesn't do it, it must be the other port. The single-link port I believe will just max out at a resolution of 1280 x 800 (or 1920 x 1200).

The female port (on the video card) is no different so what you guys are telling him isn't helping.

6. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

To clarify:

Almost all DVI cables and plugs support dual link (as far as cabling standards and the plugs).

Single link uses fewer pins than dual link, but the pins are STILL present (just for show, I guess).

Therefore, it's impossible to tell the difference between dual and single link DVI cable/plug by looking at it.

As a side note, DVI usually sends standard VGA down the same cable as well, so DVI -> VGA "converters" really just change the plug and pinout, and have no complex circuitry inside them therefore, buying an expensive DVI -> VGA adapter is like buying gold plated USB cables... (stupid)

7. CyberPrey macrumors regular

Bottom of the card... OR.. the one to the RIGHT if you are looking at the back of the computer.. or #1...

8. joshwest thread starter macrumors 65816

joshwest

thanks