NVIDIA 8600M GT problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andrewkendall, Jul 21, 2008.

1. andrewkendall macrumors member

Any ideas on this screen grab? It's been happening when I run Final Cut / Motion. Is anyone else suffering same issue?

Attached Files:

2. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

That is most likely a GPU issue. Take it to the Genius Bar.

Don

3. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Which model macbook pro do you own?

4. andrewkendall thread starter macrumors member

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 800 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP31.0070.B07
    SMC Version: 1.16f10
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled

5. lordthistle macrumors 6502

Forums are full of screenshots as yours.

Even if the news about the nVidia cards do not sound good, I think it is a software issue. More in detail, it correponds to a corrupted graphics memory.

I used to have such issues with the Aperture trial. I think it is cause by bad drivers (current nVidia drivers are not yet able to scroll smoothly in long work sessions) + apple software using non-public apis that access the system at a lower level.

On Windows the most dangerous programs are those made by Microsoft. For the same reason as above.

- thistle

6. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

This is the 2007 2.4ghz "merom" last years model.

Just curious, when did you purchase your mbp?

7. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

8. andrewkendall thread starter macrumors member

February this year (2008).

9. joeliethegoalie macrumors member

I had that same problem occur intermittently when I would open my MBP up from sleep. It was pretty sporadic, but fortunately it occurred while I was at the Genius Bar for something else. They replaced the logic board and all appeared to be well until I paid another visit to the GB (again for something else) and it happened again. They replaced my computer.

I was not using Aperture, nor did any other specific app seem to be the culprit. It was pretty random. Apple didn't hesitate to replace the logic board, nor the entire machine.

I'm on a 15" MBP 2.5 GHZ, purchased they day they were available in late Feb/early March.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

On a positive note, that would make an interesting desktop wallpaper! :)

11. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Was it just before then penryn release, refurb or was this bought from a different vendor like macmall.com?

12. zsft macrumors regular

Haha yeah it would. My friend had a blue screen as his screensaver and somehow set it so that you have to press some keys to resume operation...I force restarted his computer twice that day until he told me...

13. dr96m macrumors newbie

Faulty NV hardware

This is probably due to faulty Nvidia hardware which is rumoured to affect all G84 and G86 based chips. The web is scattered with stories about this and about Nvidia not wanting to admit this is a bigger problem than just a small batch of affected chips. The Inquirer dot net has quite a number of articles on it. It is claimed by the cycling up and down of the chips as they go from hot to cold to hot which is affected by a bug in the die substrate. For Apple laptops the only way to remedy this is to change the complete motherboard as the GPU is soldered on.

I have a MBP myself with this chip and am wondering what to do. I don't want to just wait around for my chip to fail outside potentially outside the warranty period. This is a big problem.

14. pinktank macrumors 6502

it happened to me too, while I was reading snow crash (mac geek reference) but mine was a standby issue