Nvidia 8600M GT Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rickvanr, Jan 27, 2010.

1. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Hello

I've got a MBP SR 2.4 with the 256MB 8600M GT in it. It's coming towards the end of it's extended 3 year warranty. I've been reading lots about the 8600M's failing, and I was wondering what the best way to test the GPU is. As of now, it's not having any problems, but I just don't want it to take a dump in a year

I'm not sure of the exact fail rate and I'm not trying to burn it up, but I was wondering if they're any test that can tell easily if it's from a good batch. Are there any stress tests to make sure it's going to hold up for the next few years.

Thanks

2. m85476585 macrumors 65816

I don't think there's any way to test it. It will likely work fine until it starts to fail (video corruption) or fails completely.

I don't think Apple or Nvidia ever published a defect rate.

3. Scorch07 macrumors 6502

Not to scare you but mine literally failed earlier this week. There is a test they have tos ee if that's the problem but I don't know that they can test it if it hasn't failed.

4. thomanjones macrumors regular

Try mprime (google mprime mac), it's a CLI system tester. Or, for a more organic test, try opening up the grapher calculator, then open up a bunch of the 3-D simulations, open up a youtube video and play it in HD, and a DVD; all at the same time. Then activate Expose and watch for a while to see if you get any artifacts (this is what I do @ the genius bar to prove my card is dying - had to get 3 replacements on my last iMac). FWIW, I have the 512MB 8600M GT on my MBP, and haven't had any of the gfx issues that you are referring to (but as I mentioned, I had them in spades on my iMac w/ 7300GT 128MB)

HTH :)

5. hundert macrumors regular

hundert

-Have you been playing games for all those 3 years?
    -Does your Mac suddenly power off under very high last? (usually gaming)
    -any gaphic distortions at least once?
    -does your mac get very hot?

If you HAVEN'T played any games. I'd say it is time to start! Get bootcamp and install something like left4dead - very power demanding - and play for a week.

I am speaking from experience as I have 17 and 15 macbook pros with 8600gt, both of which FAILED!

6. A.W.E.S.O.M.-0 macrumors member

Underwrite this!

Crysis, Far Cry, Dragon Age, Modern Warfare 1 & 2 and just crank up the settings untill it's just playable and fry that GPU. It will add another 3 years easily to your MBP if you get in the replacement program :)