Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thunderclap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 8, 2003
I saw on Apple's site they have a nVidia 8800 GT for $349. At MacMall they have the same card for the same price OR a different version (http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop...s-GEFORCE 8800 GT PCIE 512MB DDR3-Video Cards) that is for PC and Mac for $269. Does anyone know the difference between the two?

Also, how loud is the 8800 GT in comparison to the Radeon 1900XT? (I currently have it and anytime graphic intensive starts (if a screen saver is considered graphic intensive) the GFX fans rev up.)

m1stake

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Philly
The 8800GT does run a bit hot, but it's pretty much whisper quiet, especially compared to the X1900XT.

thunderclap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 8, 2003
I did a little more investigating and the $269 version listed on MacMall is actually a generic brand done by Elitegroup Computer Systems (model number N8800GT HD). MacMall has it listed as working on a Universal platform (PC and Mac) but I can't find any such listing on the Elitegroup's website. Still curious if this will work on the Mac Pro. Anyone?

thunderclap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 8, 2003
The 8800GT does run a bit hot, but it's pretty much whisper quiet, especially compared to the X1900XT.

Good to know. I actually swapped the fan on the 1900XT with the Arctic Cooling system (I read an article saying it would be noiseless and keep the GFX card cool) but it hasn't work like I anticipated. The card now heats up to over 100-degrees F. and then locks the system. I'd rather swap to a new GFX card that is quiet.

thagomizer

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2005
USA
I did a little more investigating and the $269 version listed on MacMall is actually a generic brand done by Elitegroup Computer Systems (model number N8800GT HD). MacMall has it listed as working on a Universal platform (PC and Mac) but I can't find any such listing on the Elitegroup's website. Still curious if this will work on the Mac Pro. Anyone?

Don't know about the N8800GT HD, but they do list this card:

http://www.ecsusa.com/ECSWebSite/Pr...goryID=5&DetailName=Feature&MenuID=54&LanID=9

That is the biggest cooler I have ever seen :eek:

3drteest

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2008
Well, I took a chance and ordered one, so I'll let you know in a week or so. I have the Mac Pro Early 2008.

thunderclap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 8, 2003
Don't know about the N8800GT HD, but they do list this card:

http://www.ecsusa.com/ECSWebSite/Pr...goryID=5&DetailName=Feature&MenuID=54&LanID=9

That is the biggest cooler I have ever seen :eek:
I think it's the same card. MacMall has it billed as an HD but EliteGroup has it billed as DT but the stats seem to be the same.

Well, I took a chance and ordered one, so I'll let you know in a week or so. I have the Mac Pro Early 2008.

You're a braver person than I. I bought a $20 PCI firewire card to install on my Mac Pro (summer '07) that MacMall claimed was compatible with OS 8.2 or higher but it didn't work. Can't blame them though since I'm sure the manufacturer billed it that way. Plus I should have been smarter and realized that the Mac Pros are PCIe and not PCI. Still, that experience along with the Arctic Cooling I mentioned earlier has left a bad taste in my mouth. Total lost on a gamble: $80.

Please keep us posted and let us know how it goes.

3drteest

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2008
Universal 8800 card doesn't work in a Mac

Well, according to MacMall Tech Support, the card does NOT work in a Mac. I don't know how MacMall can get away legally with advertising it as working on a Mac and then selling it to people from a Mac store. Isn't that fraud or at least deceptive advertising? I was able to cancel the card before it shipped. Also, I read another forum somewhere on the web where someone had tried it on a Mac and it also didn't work for them.

I hate MacMall!

thunderclap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 8, 2003
Well, according to MacMall Tech Support, the card does NOT work in a Mac. I don't know how MacMall can get away legally with advertising it as working on a Mac and then selling it to people from a Mac store. Isn't that fraud or at least deceptive advertising? I was able to cancel the card before it shipped. Also, I read another forum somewhere on the web where someone had tried it on a Mac and it also didn't work for them.

I hate MacMall!

Thanks for keeping us updated. I'm really starting to dislike them too. I sent them e-mail last week asking for clarification about the card but they never responded. I also e-mailed them to try and get an RMA for this firewire card that doesn't work in Mac Pro's I got from them. Neither has been responded to.

I also tried calling regarding the firewire card but the tech guy kept trying to sell me a different card (one I know doesn't work on Mac Pro's) instead of exchanging or letting me return the old one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.