NVIDIA 8800GT or ATI 3870 ..3870X2

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mastersoft, Aug 28, 2008.

1. mastersoft macrumors member

hello

i want to buy a new video card for a MacPro 8core (now is with 2600xt) and i need your help to give a few advice

1. i use 3DSmax and MAYA ..which one is better, faster for this kind of aplication

2. what kind of ATI video card i must buy .... i see only 1 model of ATI 3870 mac edition ...FOR the 3870x2 i see many models, IT WORKS ANY MODEL ???

3. ATI 3870 , ATI 3870x2 ... WORKS fine at OSX 10.5.4 and VISTA X64 SP1 ?? NEED new drivers or new modification ?

4. Does anybody have problem in 3DSMAX with the DIRECTX 10 viewport ( ATI 2600XT and VISTA X64 ...3DSMAX 2009 ) ??? the image is bad ..i will upload picture to see.

NOW i use OPENGL wich is slow than DIRECTX9

5 . what model of ati 3870x2 to buy ?? msi..sapphire ...bla bla ??

thanks.[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

2. RoninXI macrumors regular

torn

I am asking myself the same question. Part of my decision is also the noise, because I got my pro refurbished I have the horrid 7300 so no noise at all so I can't say "less than I have now" I am heavily looking at the 3870x2 myself but it is hard to decide.

3. hajime macrumors 68030

I also want to know the answers. I plan to use 3DsMax, AutoCAD, SolidWorks and softwares that require OpenGL. I probably will get a 8-core MacPro running Vista Ultimate 64-bit very soon. Is there a comparison on these cards (along with the ATI 4870x2) in terms of performance and noise level? I recall somebody in the forum mentioned that the 8800GT is quiet and the 2600xt is noisy.

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

For OS X, the HD3870 would be the way to go. Better Core Image (check out http://www.barefeats.com/), as it beat the 8800. Inexpensive for what you get.

The HD3870X2 works under windows, but not OS X. :(
    OpenGL hopefully will make it in a Snow Leopard update, as it isn't specified on initial release. (Apple is on the OpenGL standards board).

If you run your pro apps under windows, then you can select another graphics card for use solely in windows for better graphics performance.

5. m1stake macrumors 68000

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

As in you came across an article that Apple has decided it will not support it in the future? :confused:

A bit more detail would be appreciated. ;)
    Thanks. :)
    NF.

7. Lumpydog macrumors 6502

Will non-Apple offered card work on OS re-install

Question: If I get the 3870 and then need to reinstall the OS, do I need my old/original ATI 2600? Or will the Leopard Install DVD recogize the 3870?

8. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

Granted, it isn't what we were hoping for. :(
    After reading the article, and the links it contained, I didn't see anywhere that Apple has decided to skip it entirely.
    Did I miss something, or were you extrapolating as a result of the uproar? :confused:

Though it's by no means wonderful, or what it really should be, I still think it might be a useful addition to OS X. Otherwise, the 3D market will be left to the MS side of the world. Which I'm stuck with, as the main apps I need work best in that environment, and most aren't offered in an OS X version anyway. //Grrr...:mad://

NF.

10. m1stake macrumors 68000

Apple will keep using it, but there is no difference between it and OpenGL 2. All of it's good ideas never happened. There was a Tom's article on it recently, but it's been this way for a long time.

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

Unfortunately, what was promised vs what was delivered is weak. It's no wonder why people are upset. :p

From the way I interpreted your post, I thought I'd missed something major. As in Apple made an announcement that they were no longer supporting it at all.

Sorry about the confusion. :eek:

NF.