nVidia 8800GTX

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Lima, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Lima macrumors newbie

I've asked Apple if this direct x X card [nVidia 8800GTX] could substitute the cards that they offer on the Mac Pro, which I need to buy for CS3/Lightroom usage. They didn't say no exactly but they didn't say yes either-just that it [understandably] wouldn't be supported. I've really looked around and haven't been able to get any input. The problem I'm trying to solve is combining a business app [CS3] with a personal addiction MSFSX.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Uhh tell me of an app that requires more than an ATI X1900....except games.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Get me my goggles. :cool:

5. Lima thread starter macrumors newbie

MSFSX Thanks anyway

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

FSX DirectX 9 Vs. DirectX 10 please.

7. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

SDAVE. "Requiring" differs from the "ability to utilize more". Sure, there may not be an app today that says: 8800GTX or higher required. However, that does not mean it can't utilize the extra.

How many Apps are you running that require a x1900? And I mean that it will run if and only if you have an X1900. That is what you are saying when you use requires.

I am sure there are apps you run that don't require the x1900, but in fact benefit from it. Furthermore, the inability to utilize something today hardly suggest it will be that way tomorrow. Much like your eight-cores.

8. Lima thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't understand all the reasons why but Micrsoft Flight Simulator X is "optimized" for quad core processors, Vista [via Bootcamp] and direct x X video cards. The only fast cards that are also directx X capable are the 8 series GTS, GTX and Ultra.

9. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

An upgrade is inevitable, but at the current state the X1900 is even enough for a professional doing 3d work.

I use Cinema4D (Obviously I'm not making King Kong here) but it is enough for it. Motion works flawlessly as well. AECS3 uses OpenGL for previews if needed, and that works fine as well.

I'll be picking up a PS3 for gaming sooner or later, even though I used to be a huge FPS fan on the PC side.

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd like to see what significant benefit DirectX 10 usage has in image quality to offset the performance loss.

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2007/05/18/lost_planet_dx10_impressions/1

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2007/06/20/company_of_heroes_dx10_comparison/1

I expect things to change in DirectX 10 native games but I'd go with DirectX 9 for performance.

11. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

SDAVE, Naturally you ignore the question and provide an answer that dances around a rebuttal to your claim.

OP, at present there is no way to get a 8800 to work in OS X. The OSX86 folks may be able to change that though. You can use pretty much any card in Windows though. Which is as good as it will get right now.

There is much speculation around here on an updated Mac Pro. Keep a look out for an update soon though.

12. Lima thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply and I'm SURE that you're very well informed - but - you are not seeing the basic premise of my question [nVidia hardware details which are more or less universally known in the "pc" world. What I'm trying to do is make the cross over to Mac and still maintain the functionality I've become accustomed to. This goes to a compatibility issue with 8800GTX's and has nothing whatever to do with ATI anything. Really

13. Lima thread starter macrumors newbie

That's the kind of answer I was looking for. Thanks, live long and prosper!

14. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

For CS3 and Lightroom, the actual video card is almost irrelevant, with reports that a positively ancient Matrox Millenium G550 works just as well as a GeForce 8600GT. (As long as you're not using CS3's "3d layers", which if you are, any x600 series or higher 128 MB VRAM or higher card works fine. So the ATI X1600 in the MacBook Pro, or the optional GeForce 7600GT form the previous generation of iMac, would be fine.)

Games is the only place where the difference between the X1900XT and the 8800GTX really matters. And in Flight Sim, it can really matter. And they're even comparing to the faster X1950XT in those links. (Although I must admit that I'm happy running the same settings they use on the X1950XT on my MacBook Pro with its X1600. I just sacrifice some framerate, which, on a flight simulator, isn't nearly as important as on a shooter.)

So the difficulty in the lack of OS X 8800 support really shouldn't matter. Just go for the X1900XT, and be happy with it until OS X gets real nVidia 8x00 support. THEN upgrade to an Apple-official card. (The X1900XT is available as an after-the-fact upgrade, so I imagine that an 8x00 card would be, too.)