Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nawoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
With intel's crappy graphics card now finally gone, Hi Definition video watching on the Macbook air should now be a breeze right? Like watching 720p MKV files. Cuz i read online that the previous Macbook airs had problems with some of those files.

Would this also mean that tasks like Aperture, which are GPU dependant will be handled alot better?

I was going gaga over the New macbook pros yesterday but then after the hype died down, i think that the 128 SSD Macbook air with 9400m is actually a very decent performer, since there is now a much better graphics processor on board.

I'm a photographer and I'm planning on switch switching from using the huge chunky digital SLR to a super portable leica and it's tiny lenses. So using that, coupled with a macbook air would actually make traveling a whole lot more light weight.

What do you guys think?

From Nvidia's website:
GeForce 9400M G includes a dedicated PureVideo® HD processor that offloads all the complex and demanding video decoding from the power-hungry CPU. With this purpose-built HD video post processing engine, the GeForce 9400M G brings clear and crisp high-definition video to life, accurate color, and precise image scaling for movies and video while using less power for longer viewing on-the-go.

nawoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
It's still all CPU bound since Apple doesn't support GPU based decoding yet. ;)
That would be referring to the video aspect right? Man that sucks.

What about in terms of Aperture usage?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
That would be referring to the video aspect right? Man that sucks.

What about in terms of Aperture usage?
Video playback is CPU bound in OS X.

You're going to going to see better Aperture performance since the onboard IGP is a rather good solution.

ducatidoc

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2008
HEAT.

as in, if the new air doesnt dissipate it much better than its predecessor than the cores will continue to slow down and all that processing power means jack-dee-dum-diddly squat neighbor.

but dont get me wrong, im crossing my fingers as well that apple will fix the quality issues on the 1g mba and get it right this time....

nawoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008

You're going to going to see better Aperture performance since the onboard IGP is a rather good solution.

Would getting coreplayer for OSX solve the video problem?

I'm more interested in the Aperture performance though. Very happy that there's now an nvidia graphics chip in the air.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
HEAT.

as in, if the new air doesnt dissipate it much better than its predecessor than the cores will continue to slow down and all that processing power means jack-dee-dum-diddly squat neighbor.

but dont get me wrong, im crossing my fingers as well that apple will fix the quality issues on the 1g mba and get it right this time....
Keep in mind the new processors are 45nm at the same clock speeds as well.

VLC 0.94 has noticeably less CPU usage when playing back h.264.

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008

Aren't there a bunch of stories that the MB decoding is much less CPU intensive for video? Wouldn't that imply the GPU is helping on this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.