Nvidia 9400M vs geforce 330m: Which is better?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xi mezmerize ix, Jun 1, 2010.

1. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

I'm a little confused. The 9400M was in older Macbook Pros and I've seen many videos where people run crysis on high/very high and have pretty good FPS. The laptops arent as fast as the newer ones, but yet my MBP (specs down below) which is faster, can only run crysis on medium at around 30 FPS, unless i wanted 5 FPS with high. The only reasoning for this, to me at least, is that the 330M chip is not as good. Is this the case? If so, why the hell did the graphics chip get downgraded?

Here is a link to one of the vids I was talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIIUVrHfnoI

This guy is using the demo for his vid. when i use the demo, it doesnt even give me the option of using very high settings, and when i'm on high, my screen flashes in and out, i get random lines across the screen, and then my computer freezes.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

He's running it at 720p and I seriously doubt that all settings are at maximum. He never showed the settings

3. xi mezmerize ix thread starter macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

he shows the settings at the end of the video. everything is very high except a couple.

how do you run it at 720p? doesnt it automatically run at that?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

In 13" MBP, yes as 1280x720 is the maximum reso. Anyway, not all settings are at very high, some like effects are low and textures are custom so in the end, it's more or less "cheating". Plus he could have overclocked 9400M

5. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

That video is fake. A 9400M can only run Crisis on low settings. On Medium it already gets unplayable frame rates.
    330M can play it at medium and is easily 3 times faster.

check those REAL test out.

6. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    How is the video fake :rolleyes:

Benchmarks are always deceiving. If you followed benchmarks you wouldn't buy any games cos you'd be under the impression they wouldn't run well. If you want to test a game, you buy it, and install it and play it.