NVIDIA and the Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Zyniker, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Zyniker macrumors 6502

So, now that Apple has moved to a NVIDIA platform with the MacBook and MacBook Pro lines, what's the chance of seeing a desktop (MacPro, maybe Mini) with NVIDIA architecture? Obviously, there are some current problems with any desktop transition to NVIDIA for the MacPro (dual-socket support), but that doesn't preclude Apple and NVIDIA from working together (obviously with Intel, too) to overcome this short-term limitation.

The benefits of such a transition seem obvious (and numerous). Not least of these: more frequent graphics updates and greater support for high-end cards (it would seem only logical that Apple and NVIDIA would cooperate more closely on bringing support of the newest NVIDIA cards to Apple computers now that their relationship is so much closer via the MacBook and MacBook Pro architectural updates).

Bring on the SLI? ;)

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I think Nvidia still do not have a license for QPI so will not be making Nehalem chipsets. I doubt that will be resolved and a solution to dual sockets (more licensing) found before Nehalem workstations start shipping.

SLI is still questionable because it requires support from developers not just Nvidia and Apple. As for more graphics cards I wouldn't count on it. The current state of affairs on the Mac Pro at least isn't great and I doubt it has the sales numbers to make Apple consider changes to how things are done. The two Nvidia cards we have don't even have the best drivers they could and both lack behind their windows counterparts (the Quadro FX 5600 by a huge amount).