Nvidia Blows!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by doug in albq, Mar 7, 2009.

1. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

NVIDIA BLOWS! Apple should find a way to partner up with ATI. I cannot believe how often NVIDIA seems to be having issues with their video cards. I guess it is too bad ATI is owned by AMD; this is most likely why apple does not use ATI graphic card in its newer offerings. I actually feel sort of lucky that I have a lowly 2.4ghz BlackBook with the slow, yet RELIABLE X3100 on-board graphics by INTEL.

http://www.dailytech.com/Some+New+17+MacBook+Pros+Plagued+With+Failing+Graphics/article14501.htm

2. belvdr macrumors 601

The article states it is not clear whether Apple or Nvidia is to blame, so I'd wouldn't pass judgment just yet.

I haven't had an issue with any Nvidia card to date.

3. Beerfloat macrumors regular

Beerfloat

I'd rather they didn't. Nvidia is a healthy company :)

4. JD92, Mar 7, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

That would have absolutely killed them, as it would have inconvenienced every OEM that uses their products. The OEMs would have made nVidia pay for every return and replacement machine they had to process.

6. JD92, Mar 7, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  7. James812 macrumors member

You don't even have a 17" unibody.. so how can you be complaining so much that nvidia blows? Macbooks have a 9400m only, which works perfectly with no problem. So unless you want a MBP 17" what are you complaining about nvidia for?

8. doug in albq thread starter Suspended

doug in albq

I was just giving one example, there are many others. I'm not crying 'cause I have a problem. I am just making a general statement–NVIDIA BLOWS!

9. belvdr macrumors 601

Okay, then thanks for the public service announcement. I think other companies stink too, but not seeing the need to make a thread about it.

10. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

If you're working with heavy OpenGL applications like MicroStation CAD, almost any of the 3D apps like Maya, Houdini, Lightwave, C4D, 3DMax, etc etc then the opposite can be said, ATI blows and NVidia rocks!

I guess it depends on what you're doing.

11. James812 macrumors member

9600M on the 17" is causing problems. Other then that Nvidia is pretty good.

I know you don't have a problem, but I think just saying NVIDIA blows, or ATI blows or anything BLOWS without research or real reason is stupid. No one wants to hear someones biased opinion.

12. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Don't forget the 8600M, 8400M and even the 9400M (yes some MacBooks have issues)

The OP does have a point i never heard as many complaints when Apple was mostly using ATI cards as i have with their new Nvidia based products. In fact the only one that comes to mind is the iMac incident and even then it was a software issue

13. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I agree :)

Of course if we want decent graphics we are going to have to hold it out, or go back to Intel GMA in the Macbooks :(

Hopefully we can go for an Intel chipset + discrete ATI GPU.

14. Beerfloat macrumors regular

Beerfloat

With 2 billion in cash, it wouldn't actually have killed them.

However it would've been silly to replace all of those chips, as most of the affected products will still outlast their economic lifetimes just fine. We're talking about an increased failure rate, not mass failure.

15. Beerfloat macrumors regular

Beerfloat

Decent graphics and Intel GMA in one sentence, woah see something new every day ;)

ATI is currrently not an interesting long term partner for Apple from a business continuity perspective.

16. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Then that's Apple's fault. Not NVidia's. On Linux and Wintel NVidea are typically thought of at the cards to get for Por-Apps and ATI are considered generally for gaming direct x style.

Need pro OpenGL --> NVidia
    Need MS's DirectX --> ATI

Or at least that's what I've always heard (repeatedly over the years). My few experiences with ATI seems to mesh with that as well. <shrug>

17. belvdr macrumors 601

Nvidia in Linux land is great because Nvidia provides excellent drivers. X-Plane on Linux runs great.

18. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

That's the reason WinTel users and Pro-App venders give too.

So maybe we should be saying "Apple's NVidia Drivers Blow!" instead?

19. belvdr macrumors 601

I assume Apple gets the Nvidia chips and makes the board themselves. If so, it could be their implementation of the board.

20. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Yeah, could be but I didn't mean "board"... I meant drivers... (firmware or software... whichever). And I dunno who codes that. I assume Apple cus if it were NVidia there would be all kinds of kewl controls. ;).

21. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

My girlfriend blows, but I'm not gonna allow any of you to research into that :p
    On topic, nVidia does have some faulty cards, but that doesn't mean they blow. Maybe having an ATI option would be good, as I have read that their Mac drivers pwn teh crap out of nVidia.

22. aluminumapple macrumors regular

id be pretty mad if i spent 2,799 US on a notebook that could clearly not be clear with a picture especially if i were a photographer..

and i could relate as my graphics card seems to sometimes fail in windows xp when im editing video and graphics.. i have always trusted and leaned towards the more experienced ATI.

23. doug in albq thread starter Suspended

doug in albq

OK, I will revise my proclamation:

INVIDIA SUCKS! (and yes, I did do the research).

24. Automatically macrumors newbie

Tesselator makes a good point. Nvidia gels with opengl very nicely compared to other video card manufacturers. Im not sure why all the nvidia bashing. I have never had any problems with them. The industry im in utilizes very high end graphics cards and the prefered choice is the nvidia quadro products and they are solid, always development into driver updates and there open source development is much better then many video card manufacturers.

25. doug in albq thread starter Suspended

doug in albq