Nvidia Control Panel CPU OC..?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by SirFoxx, Jul 9, 2012.

1. SirFoxx macrumors regular

SirFoxx

I think i may have discovered a way to sorta overclock my mac...I just want to confirm this with someone else, and how far I could OC the CPU if I ever needed to. I have an early 09 mb (a1181) with the nvidia 9400m, 2.0ghz Intel C2D, running Win7 32 bit. I was lookin around in my nvidia control panel, and I came across, under performance, a menu called device settings. And under that had options to increase or decrease the FSB of my processor. Mine currently runs at about ~266 mhz. Knowing that macs get notoriously hot, and that OC can fry components, I decided to take it up by 5% (280mhz) and hit apply. I went to my program that gives specs on everything (everest ultimate ed.) and went to the OC section, and to my surprise, it was running at 2.1ghz! I've read all over that it's impossible to OC macs, but can someone confirm what i have found..?

2. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

When you boot into OS X, what cpu speed do you see?

3. SirFoxx thread starter macrumors regular

SirFoxx

I dont think the settings will carry over into OS X. It seems like the OC is being made with a program, and I dont think it "saves" the changes to the EFI chip. I will try it today, and will report back.

4. SirFoxx thread starter macrumors regular

SirFoxx

It will NOT carry over into mac OS X b/c the program running the OC is called nTune, from nvidia. So, I guess if you want to OC a regular mac, and have a nvidia GPU, get the driver that lets you overclock you GPU, and you will be able to overclock your CPU. But be careful, my FSB runs at 266, and the slider goes all the way up to 700 o_o. I'm not liable if anyone reading this fries any of your components OC. Overclock at YOUR own risk.