Nvidia Cuda 2.0

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cmcbridejr, Aug 22, 2008.

1. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

What exactly is NVIDIA CUDA 2.0?

I tried to read about it on NVIDIA's website, but I still don't fully understand.

Is it just programming language that will help developers utilize NVIDIA video cards for future applications and/or updates?

Or, if I download the CUDA 2.0 driver, then will my NVIDIA card somehow work better than it already is?

I just don't get it. Please someone explain.

Thank you in advance.

2. cmcbridejr thread starter macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

Does anyone have any understanding of this???

3. casw1000 macrumors member

cmcbridejr, the link below might help you. It's basically a language.
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_what_is.html

CUDA is a tool that allows develops to program and potentially use the processor (GPU) on the video card to work like a CPU. In many instances, GPU's can be significantly more powerful than even a quad core processor.

You might have heard another term called GPGPU, this stands for General Purpose Graphics Processor Unit. Why not google it and you will find out so much more.

HTH
    colin.
    fold4life.com (using our gpu's to find out why proteins fold / misfold)

4. Diaresi macrumors regular

Apple also have a competing technology called OpenCL that's being implemented in Snow Leopard.

5. cmcbridejr thread starter macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

Thanks for the reply.

I actually read that page before I posted - I am just trying to understand better.

So, I won't see any benefit by downloading the CUDA driver, instead it is meant for developers to optimize their software utilizing the GPU. Is that right?

However, since I have the current top-end iMac with the NVIDIA card, then future software upgrades may be able to further maximize the hardware and increase the computer's potential. Thus, my computer could possibly be more powerful in a year from now than when I purchased it. Is that right.

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Not necessarily competing as Nvidia are on the committee that is helping to define the open standard of OpenCL.

7. cmcbridejr thread starter macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

Are you sure that they compete?

I thought that they would compliment.

8. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

CUDA and OpenCL are pretty much the same thing. CUDA though is just for Nvidia cards where as OpenCL is an industry wide standard for all graphics card manufacturers.