Nvidia Drivers.. why so choppy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sukanas, Jul 20, 2009.

1. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

Whenever I play with my imac, or my friend mbp w/ ATI, their graphics are so much smoother and etc... how come the uMBP graphics is soo choppy (unplugged)? Ive read that it's the drivers but if it is.. then how come apple hasn't fixed it in the past updates?

2. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Are you talking about Windows or OS X. The Windows drivers definitely need work, however, many users have used modded drivers to improve Windows GPU performance.

Cheers,

3. sukanas thread starter macrumors 6502a

sukanas

im talking about os x and the choppy graphics happen only on battery power w/ 9400m

4. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I don't know what you are talking about. I mean, I had something similar to that with the 9600GT, but that was before the updated drivers came out. However, the 9400M is used in all of the new Apple laptops, so the driver package should be rather good. I found that it works smoother then the 9600, as a result of better drivers.

5. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Hmm, I don't see that on mine. I've never used the 9600 under OS X (other than a brief test when I first got it) and can play all manner of HD movies, TV episodes, etc w/o any difficulty. What else are you doing?

Cheers,

6. playalistic macrumors regular

7. sukanas thread starter macrumors 6502a

sukanas

in 9400m (WITHOUT POWER) , my expose is choppy
    are you guys sure you arn't experiencing thing? my friend's mbp is experiencing the same thing

8. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I don't use expose or spaces. Perhaps someone else can answer you.

Cheers,

9. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

Yeah, I'm using my 9400m unplugged right now and I'm not seeing this chop... I just opened 10 windows and still no chop. Do you have a lot running or something along those lines? I have iTunes, Firefox, Transmission and Reason running and there's no chop here...

10. sukanas thread starter macrumors 6502a

sukanas

hrm.. by choppy, i dont mean anything serious where youd start seeing lines across the screens but its just the movement of the windows arn't as smooth as other and less advanced video cards..

the weird part I'm wondering is how everyone whose replied mentioned so problems when this seemed like a serious issue awhile ago

11. Jaimi macrumors regular

The 9400m is a low-end 3D solution. When you are not plugged in, the power management kicks in, and downclocks the card so it uses less power. So you have a low-end card running in low-power mode. That's what makes it choppy and slow.