Nvidia G94 & G92 (8800GT) also apparently defective

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Umbongo, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

The full article is an interesting read:

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/08/12/nvidia-g92s-g94-reportedly

We aren't going to be able to say the 8800GT for the Mac Pro is definatly going to be able to fail, but it is definatly worth considering the ATI 3870 based on the current state of affairs. Especially if you are buying after the original purchase.

2. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Crap. This is especially bad since the new MacBook Pros will probably use 9600 GTs. Son of a *****.

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hmm.. that's a interesting find. Perhaps I should consider returning my newly purchased 8800 GT card, cause at the end of the day I don't wanna be wasting money on a defective bit of hardware.

4. kabunaru Guest

Why do you think Apple will keep using Nvidia cards in their new Macs?
    Give the new MacBook Pros an ATI card.

Apple should stop using faulty Nvidia from now on. That's what I call them: "Faulty Nvidia".

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

With all the very recent developments with nVidia's graphics chips, things don't look good to say the least. :rolleyes: Hopefully, they'll get it sorted, but if they don't work with vendors to replace defective products, it may cost them future sales.

Definitely steering me towards ATI products. ;) HD 3870 to be specific. :D

6. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

Like the faulty ATI X1900 cards? Or the 2600s that
    showed artifacts in both the Mac Pros and Alu iMacs?

7. Chilz0r macrumors regular

It's funny to see people freakout over one article :p

8. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

Those were individual cards having problems. The Nvidia case is a systemic failure of all cards in a series. A slight difference. :rolleyes:

9. almostinsane macrumors regular

Yeah, and the article is from the Inquirer. That hack site makes up crap all the time.

10. kabunaru Guest

I would take an ATI card any day over an Nvidia.
    ATI cards are better for OS X any ways.

11. Umbongo thread starter macrumors 601

Umbongo

Do they? I always find them to be reliable, their Intel reporting tends to be very good.

12. m1stake macrumors 68000

All of their correct stuff isn't actually their scoop. Their big claim to fame is "leaking" XP SP3 and SP1 before anyone else did, which is more akin to "predicting rain in Seattle" as one Giz poster wrote. They are notoriously pro ATI, and are not in the same league as the big boys at Ars, Anandtech, and Tom's. Their posts are made of FUD; rather than hard evidence to back up their claims, they have hear-say. Hardly a reasonable substitute.

Is it obvious that Nvidia has some defective chips? Yes. Is it obvious that the number of defective chips is higher than usual? Yes. Are 100% of these chips defective? Only if you write for a sensationalist blog that blows everything out of proportion without regard for good, thorough journalism.

13. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

You would prefer a brand that has been shown to
    have faults rather than one that is rumoured to?

[NOTE]
    This remark pertains to cards actually used in Macs.

14. tri3limited macrumors 6502

This one is pretty bad!
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121859523254035725.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Reuters:
    "Separately, the company said it would take a charge of $150 million to $200 million in its second quarter to cover anticipated warranty, repair and return costs associated with a defect on some of its chips.

The charge would be to cover expected warranty, repair, return, replacement and other costs, arising from a weak packaging material used in some of its previous generation graphics chip products sold in notebook PCs."

In theory, in the current economic climate, this is the kind of problem that can end even medium sized businesses. Fortunately nVidia should be big enough to bounce back, not to mention with their new product line up due... Hopefully they won't be defective!

More Links:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/03/nvidia_forecast_glitch/
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121503619200224335.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

15. kabunaru Guest

Don't you see that these NVidia cards are faulty? You must be an Nvidia fan I guess.

16. tri3limited macrumors 6502

You see i'm a huge Nvidia fan... but in the iMac i'm purchasing in 2 weeks it looks like i'm going to has to get an ATi as the 8800GS is also part of this latest rumor. Although i'm waiting for Nvidia or Apple to get back to me regarding this issue! (Not that they will!).

My second every ATi... my first one was appalling and i ended up chucking it. That was a good 5 years ago, and anyway, it couldn't be as bad as a defective Nvidia anyway :D :D

17. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

There is no strong evidence the 8800GTs in Macs will prove to be faulty.
    The HD2600XTs, by way of contrast, have already suffered problems.

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/feedback/ATI_2600_firmwareUpdate.html

Note: the rumoured HP/NVidia solution is the same as the rumoured
    Apple/ATI solution. Namely, to increase the minimum fan speed. Both
    of these rumours point to heat problems. But then, I don't place much
    faith in gossip & rumours.

However, I do think it's fair to say that both these graphics cards
    manufacturers are struggling to come to terms with power usage
    and heat dissipation. The current path of development is possibly
    unsustainable.

18. Chilz0r macrumors regular

I've had no problems with my 8800GT and I'll swallow my words if something goes wrong (and probably come back here to bitch on the forums :)) but seriously it's quiet, reliable and I've had not problems so far. Why all this doom and gloom :confused: anyway if things go wrong I always have my flashed 8800GTS 512mb :D or you could just up the fan cycle on your 8800GT if your that worried.

19. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

That would be good. Unfortunately, the best we could hope for is the 3650, barely any faster than the 8600 GT, and actually not faster in all cases. Not really an upgrade.

Artifacts are one thing... sounds like overheating memory, fixed by better cooling or reduced clocks.

GPU death is quite another.

People with MBP's are having their 8600's drop like flies. It's all over the MBP forum, go have a look.

This is quite a serious problem.

20. tri3limited macrumors 6502

21. TheThirdMan macrumors regular

TheThirdMan

I've had my 8800gt replaced twice now in my mac pro. Starting to get annoyed, in the space of 3 months too.

22. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I've had my 8800 GT for... what, four, five months now? It's perfect. :)

23. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Replaced for what reason?

24. TheThirdMan macrumors regular

TheThirdMan

The computer wouldnt start up, just had the fans at full speed after the chime and then nothing.

25. ptbalfour macrumors newbie