Nvidia Geforce 6600 256MB - strange problem

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Joshuarocks, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Joshuarocks macrumors 6502

Joshuarocks

Hello,

Just got my nvidia gefore 6600 256MB video card.. I seem to notice that after a period of say 10-30 minutes, the screen on my LED 24 inch cinema display flickers off and then on.. I have diagnosed the problem as not being my LED display as it works fine on my mac pro.. Also, I have the LED Cinema Display hooked up via the Kanex MDP-DVI adapter.. Also used this with my 7800 GT and no problems..

Here is something to note as far as the temperature of the 6600 is concerned:

fluctuates between 141-143 degrees fahrenheit..

Can someone recommend how to bring the temps down on this? Can I just unscrew the heatsink and re-apply ARCTIC SILVER to the GPU? Has anyone ever had problems with the Nvidia Geforce 256MB video card? Just this past second, the screen flickered off and on..

I am thinking of putting back my 7800 GT.

Advise?

2. Behemecoatyl macrumors member

Heat shouldn't be a problem, the 6600 is a very weak GPU. Even the current Mac Mini's GPU is twice as powerful.

3. Joshuarocks thread starter macrumors 6502

Joshuarocks

Ok, then what would the problem be?

4. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

Things that happen when you downgrade your video with something less capable just because of some fan noise on a 7800. Your perfectly good 7800 should have been left right where it was.

Whats next? Downgrade a 1TB HD to an 80GB? ;)

5. Joshuarocks thread starter macrumors 6502

Joshuarocks

Well, the good news is I have the 7800 GT.. I wouldn't get rid of it at all.. but I might replace the fan on it. And no, I would downgrade from a 1TB to an 80GB, but thats not a good comparison between the two video cards though.

6. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Temp is quite normal (it's about 60 C). Card is dying slowly IMHO. At the end it will just stop giving video. I've replaced few 6600s with similar symptoms.
    New thermal paste won't hurt ofc, but I doubt it will solve the problem.

7. Joshuarocks thread starter macrumors 6502

Joshuarocks

Ok, I spoke with the seller who sold me the card. He agreed that there is a problem with it and is sending me a replacement.. on top of that one of the other ports is defective.