Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atarigraffx

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2006
i set up a second monitor and installed maya 2009 and the program began to run very choppy

maya 2008 was working fine with a single 20 inch ACD but when i hooked up a 24 inch HD monitor as my primary screen and made the ACD the second screen and install the new version of maya, toggling around in 3D space began to behave very choppy

my question is if this is a graphics card issue or a setting i have to adjust either in the display prefs or if anybody is familiar with the program, the maya prefs

also btw all other programs work fine ie photoshop, after effects etc etc

i know that apple offers the GeForce 8800 upgrade for my machine (Mac Pro 2006) but its almost 300 dollars and i didnt want to shell out all that cash for a new video card and have the same problem still

badlydrawn

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2007
vie, austria
Hi, my current setup (Mac Pro 2006 like yours) is running a 1920x1200 primary and 1280x1024 secondary display on an 8800gt and Maya 2009 runs well on it - however this depends on the weight of your scene of course. The 7600 is a very weak card mind you.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
I have a 2006 Mac Pro that I upgraded to X5355 processors giving me 8 cores at 2.66 GHz. It has a 7300 GT and I'm running two 24" matched monitors at 1920 x 1200.

The only time scene scrubbing in Maya 2009 is choppy is when there are multiple large image sequences being used for BG or texture mapping.

Otherwise while it's not as smooth as a new top of the line Quadro, it is very acceptable indeed. :)

atarigraffx

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2006
scene scrubbing works fine for me
by "choppy" i mean that when i toggle around 3D space there is a break in the middle of the screen.... horizontal lines skipping even if the only thing in my scene is a poly cube

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Oh, that. Yes I believe that's a Vertical Sync issue - and as far as I can tell, Nvidia users have no way to enable it in OSX. This happens with the 8800 too I read.

Maybe search the Maya forums for Vertical Sync, NVidia, and Maya 2009. ;)

atarigraffx

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2006
so i guess the vertical sync is set to off by default with the current os x drivers
and this is also a common problem with the 8800 GT so upgrading my video card wouldnt help much, correct?

my question is, what are some options to help fix this?
is there a way to enable vertical sync

also on a further note when i boot into windows xp and run maya 2009 it runs way smoother with the latest drivers from nvidia
not perfect but a lot less tearing than in leopard

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.