NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT Failure...options?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by c14nhl, Jun 1, 2011.

1. c14nhl macrumors 6502

c14nhl

Hi all

I thought I'd got away with not having this issue but after four years of zero problems, my MacBook Pro is most definitely on it's last legs.

My screen sometimes flickers, then it will freeze with green lines across the screen. Anyone had this? I've ran the extended hardware test a few times now but it's coming back with no issues.

I don't have much on it that I'm worried about losing. My main concern is the fact I'm not going to be able to sync my iPhone or iPad.

My question is, with me not being in a position financially to get a new computer (going for an iMac this time since I've got my iPad), will I still be able to use my MacBook Pro in Target Disk Mode to move my things over when I'm able to get the iMac? Also, I have a PC running Windows Vista. Is there anyway I can sync my iOS devices to this now without losing all my purchases? I've seen in places that if I copy my iTunes library over to my new computer this can help?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

2. nickcao macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; zh-cn) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

If it's gpu fault apple will fix for you. If I remember correct 8600 gpu gets 4 years warranty. Corrert me if I'm wrong

3. c14nhl thread starter macrumors 6502

c14nhl

Thanks very much for your quick replies.

I've seen the offer from Apple to fix this but my concern is that due to a knock on it that happened when I first got it, I've not been able to close it. Wasn't a problem for me as it was a desktop replacement more than anything. But I'm sure if I was to go to Apple and ask them to fix it for nothing they'd have something to say about the damage and possibly lay blame there.

I have a password at start up. Only one user though, myself. Will this be an issue while using Target Disk Mode? Do I need to log in before it can begin?

4. simsaladimbamba

TDM will work regardless of any account data, maybe you have to set some permissions, but nothing more.
    And the bump will not cause a faulty GPU. You can try, can't you?