Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ks-man

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
I was hoping as people get the new iMacs if they could post here with their experience with fan noise. I'm planning on getting the 2.8GHz 24" iMac and would want to update to the higher end Graphics card. However, I'd only do this if it doesn't noticeably change the noise level of the fan as that would be more important than the improved card.

I'm not sure if people are starting to get the new iMacs but if they haven't I'm assuming they will soon so if you card share your thoughts on the issue I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

aki

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2004
Japan
... i was thinking of fan noise too... especially, is the 3.06 ghz (with 8800 video card) more noise than the 2.8 ghz (with 8800 video card)....??i guess it is all more quiet than my g5...

ks-man

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
I have the 3GHz model.

Sorry, didn't notice that in your signature. Did you just add it b/c I could have sworn I took a look.

No matter, please let us know the results after putting the new one through the ringer .

Perfectionist

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
London - UK
are you talking to me? I literally have no use for 1TB of hard drive storage. heck, 500GB is something that will never get used to even half that.
Seems crazy not to get as much storage space as ya can dude ..... plus it would have increased the resale value when it come time to upgrade ;)

I have 3TB full and am looking at picking up another 2TB MyBook pretty soon :)

Jack Flash

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2007
Seems crazy not to get as much storage space as ya can dude ..... plus it would have increased the resale value when it come time to upgrade ;)

I have 3TB full and am looking at picking up another 2TB MyBook pretty soon :)

Storage is only getting cheaper, dude. The HDDs in the Al iMacs can be user upgraded with relative ease.

benzslrpee

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2007
mine is as silent as knife slitting your throat :eek: jk, the fans have been at a steady 2000-2200rpm and i have Slingbox, CS3, Word and Firefox running...the body does feel warm on the top half of the machine but not bad.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
mine is as silent as knife slitting your throat :eek: jk, the fans have been at a steady 2000-2200rpm and i have Slingbox, CS3, Word and Firefox running...the body does feel warm on the top half of the machine but not bad.

mine stays at 1300RPM-1600RPM max when doing those things, its a previous 2.8ghz.

willcodejavafor

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2007
I thought I heard mine when going to bed last night but it was only the rain. It is silly actually. My old PC was so frigging loud and I should have bought a new computer ages ago. Glad I waited cause this new iMac is sweet. Tonight I will try TF2 that I downloaded yesterday. Cant wait for Spore and Age of Conan :)

Kuska

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2006
Deep in The Weald, England
Dude, why didn't you bump it all the way to a 1TB Hard Drive ? :confused:

For my iMac, I've always kept the amount of storage on the machine down to a minimum and put all my heavy data / files on external storage - much more flexibility and keeps performance up. Only downside is that the Lacie Quadra's that I have can get a little noisy!!

ABM

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Europe
Are there any video benchmarks out to compare the "old" iMac ATI and "new" iMac nVidia graphics card?

Georgio

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2008
Essex, UK
Picked up the 3GHz 24" iMac yesterday.
First impressions are very good; very quiet though slightly more noise than the 24" 2.4GHz it replaced.
It's still quieter than my G5 which by comparison now sounds like a Windows PC :D
Tonight I should be able to get on World of Warcraft which will give the graphics a good workout. Any problems and I'll post back.

Zephirus

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2008
What graphic card is in the mac anyways, I heard it was in fact a 8800M GTS, in the post it says "confirmed" but no mention of a source or anything. I also found various other answers on google.

EDIT** : Forget my ignorance, I found a better thread about that :)

molintorch

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2008
Oregon, USA
Summary of my experience so far...

I did some heavy duty CPU tasks last night, never heard a fan at all, yes it got really warm (low 160F on the chip, mid 130F on the cpu heatsink), but no fans ever ramped up. While that was going, I got wow patched, got into game, set all the graphics to max, then relogged into game (while Handbrake was crunching away still).

Sound was still extremely quiet. On my Macbook Pro, it would sound like a jet taking off, but on the iMac, I heard nothing of value. I have an external HD with a fan, and I could hear that quietly read the drive, but the iMac didnt make much sound at all. I ran around Org (horde druid), and framerate was bouncing between 85 and 200+ FPS. I never saw it once drop below 85. I was extremely happy :)

Tonight I am going to run some more graphics benchmarks in vista with orange box and will post them if people are interested. So far, here are the benchmarks I have run to date since Monday.

8248 3Dmarks with default bootcamp drivers
* SM2.0 score: 3501
* HDR/SM3.0: 3328
* CPU Score: 2769
xBench: http://db.xbench.com/merge.xhtml?doc2=286743
GPU-Z: http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/43pxg/
CPU-Z: http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=353588
Geek Bench: http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/54766

Pagannn

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2008
I didn't hear the fan running at all last night when I was setting up my machine. Granted, I just replaced my self-built PC that sounded like a small airplane so this thing is absolutely silent compared to what I'm used to.

I did manage to run world of warcraft for a little while to make sure my settings and mods were all set up. I didn't hear even a whisper of fan noise when running around one of the big cities with a ton of people gathered around. I did notice the high frame rates and absolutely beautiful graphics though :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.