NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by hcandersson, Feb 13, 2010.

1. hcandersson macrumors newbie

I need some help with flashing the 8800gt. I bought the wrong version. I have Mac 1.1 year 2006 and the card only works with early 2008.

I know that its possible to flash the card and I know how. The thing is that I cant find the bios for MP 2006 first generation on the internet. I need the 32 version. EFI.

maybe someone has a backup you can send to me so I can get my card working ? :) PLEASE

please send the .rom file to my email christian11640@gmail.com

2. acluett89 macrumors newbie

One big change is the integration of the external display chip that acted as a helper to the G80. The G92 natively supports twin dual-link DVI outputs with HDCP, without the need for a separate display chip. That ought to make G92-based video cards cheaper and easier to make. Another change is the inclusion of the VP2 processing engine for high-definition video decoding and playback, an innovation first introduced in the G84 GPU behind the GeForce 8600 lineup. The VP2 engine can handle the most intensive portions of H.264 video decoding in hardware, offloading that burden from the CPU.

3. Hmac macrumors 68020

It doesn't answer your question, but I would observe that I have a 1,1 Mac Pro too. I upgraded my 1900XT to an 8800 GT a couple of years ago and saw a pretty modest increase in graphics power. However, I recently upgraded the 8800GT to an ATI 4870 and saw a substantially bigger increase relative to the machine's performance on both Final Cut Express, FPS gaming under OSX, and especially FPS gaming under Windows XP via BootCamp.

The 4870 has both 32 and 64 bit EFI, and although it's listed as only working with early 2008 and early 2009 Mac Pros, it works great with my 2006, driving two 30" ACDs with no problem, except for the fact that I had to get an adapter so the mini-DVI port on the card would go dual-link DVI.

4. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

that sounds great, did the card pump out much more heat or noise?

5. battleonmac macrumors newbie

battleonmac

6. Hmac macrumors 68020

Can't tell about the heat for sure, but I don't think so. As to noise, the fan goes to full at power-on, then goes back to quieter than the 8800GT.

7. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

sounds great, although it is much cheaper (as per usual) in the US store :mad:

May get one on a year or two to breath some new life into my mac when it needs it (currently running the 8800 GT).