nvidia GeForce 8800M MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Adokimus, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

I know there have been a few posts around this issue, but I was hoping that now that the GeForce 8800M GTX and GTS (mobile graphics cards) have been released:

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9820408-1.html

...there might be more reliable information. I'm simply not versed enough in this area, but I was wondering if anyone who is versed knows whether or not either of these cards could be used in the next MBP (assuming the same form factor)? I'm not sure what the temperature requirements are for the MBP casing, nor do I know how to tell how hot these cards will be aside from their core clock. I do know that MBP's tend to have underclocked graphics cards, so is this an option?

Sorry, I just think these cards look like they will be amazing and I'm wondering how feasible it is to have them in a future MBP.

Peace,

Ado

2. The Red Wolf macrumors regular

The Red Wolf

100 Degrees C

Adokimas,
    The tolerance for "within spec" from Apple is 100 Degrees C. Your fans would be gunning at 6000+ RPM all the time if it ran this hot. But it can without melting.

You wouldn't want it in your lap though.

As for the 8800m GTX no way... 8800m GTS or GT maybe. Most likely Apple will switch back to ATI for the next MacBook Pro revision. They tend to flip flop between the two companies at each revision. I doubt we'll see more than 512 MB RAM in a laptop though. Power and heat considerations.

I want a carbon fiber case... Wouldn't melt that and it would dissipate heat better than aluminum and it would be much more durable. Don't scratch the Aluminum!

3. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

8800 generates about 75% more heat than the 8600. 35tdp vs 22tdp

Apple is NOT going to use it. I guarantee that the next MBP will have the same 8600m GT, possibly with an increase in video memory.

Now stop making topics about this. Theres a huge topic still on this page were these cards were discussed extensively (Macbook Pro 2008)

4. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

The 8800M GTX should fare fine in the 17" MBP. Unless it doesn't have the cooling system to handle an extra 15-20 watts of heat (assuming the G84M is outputting about 20 watts of heat). People here always crow about how cool the system is running. And if it isn't on the mains the GPU wont run higher than 200MHz anyways (battery saver mode).

So really it falls to Apple to make it a BTO option (or if the MBP is using a MXM board, driver support).

Same situation goes for the iMac as well.

I will say the performance is freaking rediculous though. It is besting the 7950Go SLI with just one card. That is freaking crazy.

5. triobot macrumors member

triobot

they won't switch back to ATi, the iMACs have them, not the best of reasons but its highly unlikely.

Plus they will be optimised to run at efficient temps. cos its still a laptop !

6. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

That's for sure.

The 7950s are still the best cards available on the (current) market by a fair margin. The fact that these new 8800s are beating two of those in SLi is just incredible.

EDIT: And just as a comparison the 8800 achieved 32FPS at 1280x800 in Crysis with all settings at High, whereas the 8600M only got 10.

7. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

I wonder if a case redesign would allow for a "hotter" card...or an increase in clock speed of the current 8600... Hopefully this will be the case by the next back to school season.

8. Adokimus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

Yeah, the initial numbers on these things are AMAZING. If they (apple) somehow fit one into a 17" MBP with an LED screen, they will have sooooo much of my money... but, I suppose I'd have to look to alienware if I wanted a gaming rig. Wish I could have the best of both worlds!

Come on apple engineering ingenuity....