NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, Will It Be Enough For Me?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alekssss, Aug 21, 2009.

1. alekssss macrumors newbie

im planning on buying the new 15inch macbook pro only with this integrated graphic card

i dont do anything with graphics, videos etc. i wont even play games on it.

only things ima do on this notebook

writing notes
    watching dvd/maybe blueray movies/anime
    internet
    itunes
    editing pics sometimes

can it handle running a movie, 10 web pages, aim, at the same time without slowing down or something similar?

thanks for the answers

p.s. i think it should be enough but I dont know much bout computers and especially bout macs so im asking you guys, oh and sorry for my english, please :)

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

3. Brandon Heat macrumors regular

i think u can save a bit and just get the 13... or a regular macbook.. the 15 pro sounds like overkill

4. alekssss thread starter macrumors newbie

im getting the better 13one or the worst 15one..ima compare the screen sizes next time im at the apple store : )

5. alekssss thread starter macrumors newbie

bump, just need a few more responses to be sure :)

6. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Dang chundles, the guy apologizes for his English and you're gonna rip him on "ima"? (I'm gonna...)

The integrated graphics will be fine for you... the tasks you mention are not really graphic card intensive things. I'd go for the 15" just for the screen size alone, but I like big screens.

7. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

I'm extremely impressed with the 9400.

Sometimes I forget to switch to the 9600 and barely notice in World of Warcraft (maybe unless I have advanced shadows and full screen glow enabled). Plus, the Macbook stays cool and quiet in the process. My question is whether or not you can run dual monitors (plus the integrated LCD) with only the 9400. Secondly, will Snow Leopard be able to use the 9400 plus the 9600 as a CPU?

8. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

9400m is more then enough for you, it will do 1080p video and can even do light gaming. Heck you could say it is over kill for you.

9. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

Your perfect with the 9400! I do all that plus some extra apps, Photoshop and (soon to learn) Final Cut Express on the high end 13". Runs like a charm...and a LOT quieter than my old 13" MacBook i may add.

10. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Can't really say the 15-inch is overkill anymore. Before it was overkill because of the extra 9600M GT GPU so if you think the 13-inch is too small, the 15-inch should be the perfect size. I know I find the 13-inch a bit too small and the resolution is brutal. The 1440x900 resolution isn't the best but definitely an improvement in my opinion.

11. adamjackson macrumors 65816

I pretty much only use the 9400 card on my 17" MBP. The only time I turn on the dedicated card is when it's time to play some Call of Duty or Sims 3.

With the 9400 at 50% brightness, I get 7 hours battery life on the MBP. When the dedicated card is enabled I only get 4 hours.

so yeah the 9400 is all you'll need unless you play games 4 hours a day and do massive graphic intensive work (which I don't do)

12. kis macrumors 65816

Then the 9400M is probably enough for you. I faced the same question last week and went for the dual-graphics verison - but I primarily use the MBP for photo- and video-editing.

Anyway - you might want to wait for the Snow Leopard release (which apparently will happen by the end of next week). The first benchmarks will show whether Snow Leopard's ability to use the GPU for calculations makes a bigger difference on the dual-graphics MBPs.