Nvidia GeForce 9600m GT driver

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by piazon79, Mar 17, 2010.

1. piazon79 macrumors newbie

Im trying to update my video driver, i have a 15" macbook pro with the 9400 + 9600m GT 256. I have it dual booted with windows 7 Pro x64. Im getting bad video problems when trying to run Bad Company 2 on the windows side. I looked at what driver i have and it is from 4/15/09 and there has been a few updates since then. I try to update to the latest nvidia driver and it wont install saying "cannot find compatible driver for hardware, setup will now exit" or something very similar. I tried a few different versions searching on the nvidia site specifying the geforce 9m series with Windows 7 64 bit and get the same error message every time. Ive even used nvidia's search for driver automatically tool and it works great telling me what card i have and the driver i have currently installed and even says the driver i should update to which i download and get the same error message.

How do i update to the latest nvidia driver on this macbook pro?

2. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

I posted this a while back

It does work, so if it does not for you, you did not do something right.
    And its pretty easy, just read it thoroughly.

3. piazon79 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, im following your directions but when you say there are "2 instances" to find with that number, i am finding much more than 2. my number is 0649 and there are many keys withing this inf file that has that number. Should i modify all lines that i find with this?

4. piazon79 thread starter macrumors newbie

to be exact, there are 14 lines that look like this:

%NVIDIA_DEV.0649.01% = Section025, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0647&SUBSYS_00BC106B&REV_A1
    %NVIDIA_DEV.0649.02% = Section025, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0649&SUBSYS_080517FF

the first one is the one i modified based on your directions, the second is what the other 13 are similar to.

5. piazon79 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok i changed my search criteria to include the .o1 after the number such as 0649.01 and changed those 2 instances. It seemed to do the trick. Thank you for your help, but may i make a suggestion to add that in to your directions if you do infact need that .o1 after the number.

Thanks again!

6. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Glad it worked. It took me a few hours of googling, following directions, writing guide, etc... So I am happy to save someone else the troubles I had.

7. gooseface macrumors newbie

still doesnt work for me

I have followed step by step on how to change everything around. I dont know how to uninstall drivers though. i go to the uninstall menu and nothing by Nvidia is listed except the physx. so when i go to install the same menu that the person who listed this shows up

8. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Did you install the bootcamp drivers from your snow leopard disc? If not, then you have not installed any drivers from nvidia and are using the windows drivers. Regardless though, if you followed all the instructions and are trying to install the driver, you should not be getting the message about no compatible hardware. Does you MacBook have the 9600 or only the 9400? I think you just need to post some more information before anyone can tell you what's wrong.