Nvidia GeForce 9800 GX2 on mac pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by edo10, Mar 18, 2008.

1. edo10 macrumors newbie

hello i have a early 2008 mac pro with the 8800 GT i was wondering if there was any possible way to get the new 9800 GX2 working on the mac pro i have windows vista business 32-bit edition i've heard that you can get it running in Windows but that it doesn't support OSX? something to do with BIOS??
    I'm sorry if this is a really stupid question or if it's already been gone over in the forums

thank you very much

2. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

You'll have to be a little bit patient: this thing has only just come out.

You can't really expect much in the way of answers until some people
    here actually have actually tried the thing :)

3. m1stake macrumors 68000

There's no reason it wouldn't work on the Windows side of things :)

Requires a 6 pin PCI power connector as well as an 8 pin power connector. Ouch.

4. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

Probably this card will never work in OS X. If you have luck, it will be available as a 900$ option in 2-3 years. haha

5. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

6. dusanv macrumors 6502

You guys are too funny. You'll be lucky if you get another card after the 8800. 9800? LOL!

7. ASFx macrumors regular

Doesn't the 9800GX2 require SLI drivers since it's really two cards in one? I don't think we have much of a chance of this working in OS X. Maybe when a 9800GTX is released we might get support for it in a year.

8. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Are you kidding???? First generation Mac Pro owners are still stuck with the x1900xt. And there's no "solution" in sight for them to enjoy the 8800GT. I predict that the next iteration of the Mac Pro will have a video card that won't work in the "Early 2008" Mac Pro. Several heated e-mails to sjobs@apple.com will be launched. And a lucky one or few will receive a reply stating: "Relax. The issue is being worked". And, alas, nothing is ever worked.

9. gmontag macrumors newbie

Think positive.
    1. 9800 GX2 is basically 2 8800 GTS.
    2. Some success has been wiping the 8800 GTS firmware and replacing.
    3. Maybe the same will work on this card.

10. knome macrumors 6502

knome

You can install it on your system if you also have a 2600 or a 7300 to power the boot up. But even with that you are stretching your power limits quite far.

11. ASFx macrumors regular

No, i was not kidding, hence, "Maybe". Apple is not the same company they were 10 years ago, or even 2 years ago. We have seen apple begin to accept the fact that gaming has become increasingly important, which greatly increases the chance of Apple stepping it up with their video card upgrades.

12. MartinelliMinim macrumors newbie

=)

Awesome =) Well today i just got the 9800 GX2 for my 8 Core 2.8 Mac Pro. I know the thing is a monster but the problem i am having is the games that i have are not pushing the card to its limit. COD4 is not letting me go past 60 fps.... i don't know why. But i also have two eVGA 8800 GT superclocked and i flashed the bios so it works in both OS X and Windows. The reason I got two so i can try to SLI the two cards together but i am waiting for the bridge. But i have also been reading that you don't need the bridge to run SLI.

Anyways, talking about the 9800 gx2. The Mac Pro only allows you to use 300 watts which will not be enough for what i want to do. It may sound stupid to some of you but my goal for now is to keep the 9800 and one 8800 since the 8800 is flashed to work in OS X. But that means i'm going to need 3 power cables which i do have. So when i turn on the MP it tells me to restart the system. And i'm assuming that it is due to the power drainage.

My ultimate goal is just to have my 9800 as my main card for both OS X and Windows. Does anyone know how that is possible? I will be putting the video of the Mac Pro on youtube. You can just go ahead and type in Mikey Minimo

13. MartinelliMinim macrumors newbie

=)

Awesome =) Well today i just got the 9800 GX2 for my 8 Core 2.8 Mac Pro. I know the thing is a monster but the problem i am having is the games that i have are not pushing the card to its limit. COD4 is not letting me go past 60 fps.... i don't know why. But i also have two eVGA 8800 GT superclocked and i flashed the bios so it works in both OS X and Windows. The reason I got two so i can try to SLI the two cards together but i am waiting for the bridge. But i have also been reading that you don't need the bridge to run SLI.

Anyways, talking about the 9800 gx2. The Mac Pro only allows you to use 300 watts which will not be enough for what i want to do. It may sound stupid to some of you but my goal for now is to keep the 9800 and one 8800 since the 8800 is flashed to work in OS X. But that means i'm going to need 3 power cables which i do have. So when i turn on the MP it tells me to restart the system. And i'm assuming that it is due to the power drainage.

My ultimate goal is just to have my 9800 as my main card for both OS X and Windows. Does anyone know how that is possible? I will be putting the video of the Mac Pro on youtube. You can just go ahead and type in Mikey Minimo

14. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

You can't run SLI on a mac pro without special hacked drivers which aren't available for newer cards.

Does SLI even work between an 8800 and a 9800?

You won't be able to use the 9800 as the main card in OSX unless apple start supporting them (or if you are lucky some third party will but that's even less likely).

15. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

Sounds like a vsync issue, but then you probably know that.

16. nick9191 macrumors 68040

[​IMG]

*Laughs*

And its what half the price of the 9800?

17. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

Which drivers were used?

18. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

The 9800 GTX hasn't even been released yet. Where is the link to that review?

19. SuperGrobi macrumors member

Sorry, cannot find the video on youtube ... do you have a link???

20. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

How do you know?