NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 for 2008

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rpaloalto, Mar 5, 2009.

1. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

Is their any possibility the GT 120 would work in the 2008 mac pro?
    I want to get the new 24'' ACD for my mac pro. I'm not so sure I want to also spend $350 for the ATI 4870. The price of $149 seems like a better deal for what i need and want.

I just looked at the Apple store website it says compatible with just the 2009 mac pro.

2. RankinBones macrumors newbie

GeForce GT 120 mac pro early 2008 compatability

My ATI Radeon 2600 video card fried this week in my Mac Pro 2 x quad core 2.8ghz Intel xeon processor machine. The guys at the Apple store said the GT 120 might work in it but they were not sure. I was in a pinch and didn't have time to overnight something else so I took the chance and bought it.

Earlier in the day I had done a archive and install on the system because I was still troubleshooting it and thought it might have been a system issue.

So I installed the new card and things worked perfectly...for about a day...until I did the complete software update to 10.5.6. After completely updating the OS the computer no longer worked. I would just get a blue screen and nothing else. I was able to get the computer up in Safe Boot mode which is how I am using it as we speak. I'm ordering the exact same ATI Radeon 2600 that went bad and I'll install that and see if it was indeed a bad video card. Hope this helps you.

3. bocc macrumors newbie

So, did you get to the bottom of ? As I heard that the 120 works fine on the 2008 macs. And why would the card work fine for a day and then cut out ?

I think it wwould be interesting to know your conclusion for otherss that are thinking of swapping out the 2600 for GT120

4. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

It should work if you have 10.5.7 installed - chances are it would need the updated nVidia graphics drivers from 10.5.7 or from the custom 10.5.6 that was shipped in Nehalem Mac Pros.

5. bocc macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. That seems to make pefect sense and and sheds light to the guy above's problem