nvidia gpu failed on 2007 MBP - Apple say it's not covered?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rollinson, Oct 16, 2009.

1. rollinson macrumors newbie

Hi All,

My 2007 MBP (Model A1226, manufactured Nov 2007) woke up this week with the dreaded blank screen problem.

Took it to the genius bar and they confirmed it was the nvidia gpu failure. Quoted a min 2 weeks repair under the special warranty (I don't have apple care). Took it to a local authorised repair centre who said they would have it back in 2 to 3 days...great.

I hear back from them today, Apple have said they don't cover the Nvidia card in my machine. What!?!?!?

Has anyone else experienced this? What do I do now?

Thanks so much for your help.

JR:confused:

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Does it have nVidia 8600M GT? Print this and visit the store. Underline the three years from it

3. superspiffy macrumors 6502a

the 8600m gt should be covered for three years regardless if you purchase Apple Care

4. rollinson thread starter macrumors newbie

Spoke with the local independant service centre I'm using and asked them to get Apple to fully explain why it's not cpvered. They think it could be because my MBP is a refurb model and has had the logic board replaced already.

I await their response tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice so far :)

5. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

LOL? That wouldn't void the warranty for that part anyway. It covers the parts...

6. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

The 8600M GT is covered for full logic board replacement regardless of the state of it's AppleCare or where it was bought from if it fails. Unless you voided the warranty, they are obliged to replace it by orders from Apple Corporate. (print the thing and show them) :rolleyes:

7. kolax macrumors G3

If it has had the logic board replaced already, ask if it is still worth repairing in their eyes and state you are a heavy user of the GPU and don't want to have it fail again.

Who knows, you might get a new Mac. It's happened.

8. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I love how Apple is just playing this game with people. You must be the 100th person here to say that Apple is refusing to fix their 8600GT MBP. And 2-3 weeks for a repair? Please...it should take 2-3 days.

9. iphone3gss macrumors member

2-3 days? Please, being generous it should take an hour and they should be getting it back out the same day. I'm not sure why everyone thinks Apple's slow ass repair times are justified.

10. suburbia macrumors 6502

rollinson,

Dealing with the people at a Apple Store tend to be a hit-and-miss; more misses than hits in my experience. I would highly recommend you call Apple's Customer Service-- not Applecare,because, once again; hit-and-miss there. The Customer Service Reps have always been excellent. Call them and explain your situation, I'm sure you'll come away with satisfying results.

11. rollinson thread starter macrumors newbie

I spoke with my local repair centre again. Apparently the piece of software they used to assess the problem (downloaded from Apple) told them it wasn't covered NOT Apple themselves.

I rang Apple customer services as suggested, they have a case number on file (from my visit to the genius bar) which says it is covered under the Nvidia quality programme. I have given this case number to my local chaps so fingers crossed!

12. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

They should cover this, no matter how many times the logic board has been replaced, this Apple and Nvidia f'up. I'm on my second logic board at this point with my '07 mbp so I am counting the days before it fails again.

13. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Installation is typically an hour, maybe two. However, that's not taking into account all of the other factors that come in to play. First of them being the simple fact that rarely is there ever only one computer to fix. If you are going to an authorized service center they will have to order the part from Apple. Otheriwse, it's not logical for any repair center to keep every single possible part in stock for every product they have. Sometimes Apple will have them in stock, sometimes they don't. Then, there are the computers that were there before yours, and diagnostic and repair times for those and so on, which could very well cause a few days installation time even if they had the part in stock. If you know what the problem is, it doesn't matter. The store/repair center has to diagnose it themselves. Especially in the case of repair centers, they can get "dinged" for false or mistaken repairs. Also, neither APple nor the repair center can be called to blame when FedEx/UPS screw up, which is often. If it rains somewhere that can delay shipments to places 500 miles away.

I find it quite ridiculous that you feel entitled to an instant repair with no hassle.

If those people at the service center pull their head out of their asses and finally get to covering your machine under its warranty, I would ask them what the delay in the time is from since if Apple did have the part in stock they ship them over night, and, if nothing goes wrong, only take 2 business days to arrive. If that is the case, you can get the repair/confirmation number and your serial number, and call Apple yourself (they don't care when a repair center calls, only the customer) to ask what the hold up is. Typically, they magically find the part and ship it out the next day. Otherwise, if there is some unreasonable time period they can't get the part (over a month possibly), you could possibly get a replacement machine out of it.

Of course, that only happens to nice people who explain the situation, and don't go screaming and yelling for a new computer, if that's your style. :D

14. rollinson thread starter macrumors newbie

I write this post on my fixed MBP :)

Thanks to all for the advice and thanks to my local repair centre CS Systems in Manchester.

It took a little persistence with Apple Support but as soon as it was escalated to a senior engineer, who then phoned CS directly himself, the wheels turned quite quickly. Part was there next day, CS fitted it, tested overnight and I had my machine back Friday.

Good work team!

15. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

16. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

I'm glad the outcome was good, but these repair centers, and particulary apple stores, should all be on the same page with this issue. Thier should be no question on the outcome because this is a widespread and known issue at this point. To hassle, you the customer, any further with this is certainly bad policy.

17. rollinson thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, I grant it could have been smoother but overall, I had a decent experience. With advice here and my knowledge of support systems and customer care (I ran my own WiFi networks business) I got a satisfactory result. You catch more flies with honey and I kept my attitude firm but fair which also helps. For someone without my background then maybe there would have been a less impressive experience but to be fair to Apple, apart from the 2 week wait, they identified and offered to fix the problem free of charge at my first visit to the store.

Therefore, I think in comparison to pretty much every other customer service experience I've had they make it into the top 10. Credit where it's due.

18. pritch20001 macrumors newbie

advice

Hi,

I stumpled across your thread and it seems I am in exactly the same boat as you, I have the same model number and am also looking to get it repaired in Manchester. With this in mind, I wondered if you could give me any advice when explaining the situation to the repair shop?

Firstly, did you buy it at the place that you got it repaired? I was planning to go to the apple store but if you had success at this place and didn't buy it there I might speak to them?

Secondly, I've replaced the hard drive in my machine, had you replaced any parts yourself?

Really appreciate your time, I really can't afford to pay for the repair so am trying to prepare my case!! I bought the machine from a mail order company so would prefer to try and sort it in Manc!

Thanks

19. rollinson thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi pritch,

Happy to help. I bought my unit refurb direct from apple, I hadn't replaced any parts other than a RAM upgrade.

If you're getting exactly the same problem, no video output (on built in screen or from DVI output), then that's all you really need to explain.

Perhaps take your machine into CS Systems, they are on the authorised Apple list. They've seen the problem recently with my machine and should be able to help. My only concern would be that the software they used to diagnose my machine didn't support the warranty claim to begin with so stick with it and call Apple customer service (always have your case id handy), they're a helpful bunch in my experience.

If you get stuck, feel free to pm me and I'll send contact details.

Good luck.
    JR

20. pritch20001 macrumors newbie

Thanks for the swift reply! I'll get in contact with them, cheers for the advice and I'll definitely get in touch if I have further questions, appreciate the offer!