Nvidia GTX 360/380 Discussion

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by 10THzMac, Dec 22, 2009.

1. 10THzMac macrumors 6502

So methinks it is the time to start wondering about this one in more detail. Here are some links to wind up the rumour mill. There are some interesting benchmarks at

http://www.guru3d.com/news/geforce-gtx-360-and-380-benchmarks/

but nobody is sure whether they are authentic. As a 285 owner I am excited by the claim that a 380 might double perf.

Nvidia have done some advance marketing of the associated new Tesla products, linked at

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/product_tesla_C2050_C2070_uk.html

Interestingly, although these are focused on CUDA work, these also have video out, with 3G (2050) and 6G (2070) memory. Mac support on all these things is totally unclear, as we all might expect for now.

What we need from Apple in collaboration with Nvidia are

(i) Room to fit these things
    (ii) Power to support them (several 6 and 8 pin connectors in a Mac Pro)
    (iii) Drivers
    (iv) EFI Roms for them.

Ideally we can get all four of these, but probably we can get going with (i) and (iii) for OS X.

If anyone has got their paws on one, and maybe got it going under Bootcamp for now, let us know!

2. vogelhausdesign macrumors regular

vogelhausdesign

Wait, the 360 will be too big for an 09MP?

3. MacVidCards Suspended

Seeing as how the A3 stepping chips are baking in an oven at TSMC in Taiwan, there is no earthly way anyone could know this answer.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that Nvidia is making them out of Snakeskin and adding a GPS unit with Bluray support in every card and I have just as much expectation of being right as anyone else making claims on GT300 cards.

Expected in March for PCs....so think October 2010 to January 2011 for us Mac folk. Yes, upwards of a year away.

So we can quit waiting by the Cable Modem for news of Mac GT300...they are FAR away. Anyone with skill at accurately predicting things in the future would be better served conjuring up next weeks lottery numbers.

4. phaedarus macrumors regular

Will the existing Mac Pros even have the necessary bandwidth to take full advantage of a GTX 300 let alone GTX 380?

5. Inutopia macrumors 6502

Inutopia

huh?

6. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Um.....yeah? Especially if we assume it own't work in the EFI32 models. The EFI64 ones all use an x16 2.0 slot for the graphics. No issues there.

7. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Those benchmarks have turned out to be fake. NVidia's seriously hurting right now with their Fermi chips and have had to resort to fakes of their own (even the physical example graphics card they held up at a conference a while ago turned out to be a fake). These benchmarks aren't even fakes from nVidia, they've been faked by someone else. Honestly, I'd be surprised if Fermi based chips become available within the next six months.

8. 10THzMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Well this is macrumors.com, not macwellestablishedandfacts.com. I wasn't at all sure about those benchmarks. The delay in getting Fermi out while there being very little channel stock of high end 2xx series is very worrying.

Some scathing comment and helpful updated performance graphs are at the same site where the first lot appearedL

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=310689&page=16