Nvidia GTX 680m available

Discussion in 'iMac' started by boto, Jun 21, 2012.

1. boto macrumors 6502

boto

Alienware has just announced they are shipping GTX 680m cards to their units by July 3rd, so I guess we can assume the new iMac lineup will be releasing sometime soon? If your one of those people who are interested in this particular graphics card you better expect a higher premium price tag than the current models. Alienware is offering these BTO GPU options for an additional $550, whereas the AMD 7970m is $350 cheaper according the to purchase options on Alienware's website. Here is an article to provide a clearer insight. http://www.notebookcheck.net/GTX680M-equipped-M17x-and-M18x-now-available.77059.0.html

Anyone still willing to pay this premium price?

2. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

If given the choice, I'd probably save the $200 and go with the 7970m. Even if the 680m is an extra $550, I'll pay it. I need this machine to last 4-5 years and would like to play new games for as long as possible.

3. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

Imagine if the iMac was released with Mountain Lion on 7/3? That would be awesome, although unlikely - at least for ML - since it hasn't gone GM yet.

4. Scythe5 macrumors regular

I would probably bite the bullet and drop the cash on the 680m myself. :D I'm guessing it would be cheaper from :apple: than alienware based on nothing but overall sales and purchasing power.

5. jmhart macrumors regular

Nice find... I also noticed they list the dual SLI setup consuming 200W, so there's confirmation a single 680M will be 100W so it fits within the existing design of the iMac. No reason not to include it now, and no reason to delay beyond ML release.

What a relief, a drop dead date is shaping up nicely. :cool:

Oh, and what premium price? Did I miss something, do we know the 2012 iMac pricing structure already? If you just mean will I pay more for a 680M than a 660M or 650M...well, uh yeah--I'd expect to.

6. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

I probably would because it's Nvidia and it plays nice with Adobe CS apps. I could also use the bit of extra performance over the 7970m...Not too happy about the much, much higher price though. I'm hoping Apple will be able to strike some kind of deal to keep the cost down.

7. Heinous macrumors newbie

Well I imagine exclusivity across Apple's entire PC line would be worth more than a few price concessions. But that's pretty wild speculation even for here. :)

8. Rlnplehshalo macrumors regular

Apple would have the buying power to negotiate with Nvidia for reasonable pricing bedies wholesalers sell cheap. It's up to the final seller to determine a price whether they make big profit or little, Apple already have large revenues elsewhere in the product line and I doubt it will add any more than $250 to the price.

9. Mister Bumbo macrumors 6502

Have Apple ever raised the price on any single model in an already existing product lineup due to more expensive components?

10. Melbourne Park macrumors regular

There's a word for Apples immense buying power: monopsony. Apple has been described as one.

Wiki:
    In economics, a monopsony is a market form in which only one buyer faces many sellers. It is an example of imperfect competition, similar to a monopoly, in which only one seller faces many buyers. As the only or majority purchaser of a good or service, the "monopsonist" may dictate terms to its suppliers in the same manner that a monopolist controls the market for its buyer.
    A monopsony is a market condition where multiple sellers, [the majority of sellers in that market] all have to sell to the same individual buyer because that buyer is buying a significant portion of the entire market. This gives the buyer the advantage because the buyer can keep asking each seller to match or undercut the competing sellers prices, thus driving down the prices of the products in that market.

11. Seamaster macrumors 6502a

Seamaster

Remind us, what's Apple's desktop market share?

12. Mister Bumbo macrumors 6502

Remind us, how is this question relevant in a discussion about the cost and possible implementation of a mobile graphics card?

Anyhow, monopsony is relative to the brand, not the product per se.

13. bogatyr, Jun 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2012

bogatyr macrumors 65816

The higher end GPU iMac has a $400 premium in the price. Also the 2GB model has another $100 premium making the total extra $500. I wouldn't expect a price hike as it is already built into the current pricing.

14. Rlnplehshalo macrumors regular

In what currency?! Comon it costs an extra $100USD for the bumped up 2GB GPU on the high end iMac Price here.

Unless you mean from the graphics card in the 21.5" entry to 27" high end?

15. bogatyr macrumors 65816

$1600 for 27" base GPU
    $2000 for 27" 6970 GPU
    $2100 for 27" 6970 2GB GPU

Seems the cost is already there. Those are USD retail prices.

16. adildacoolset macrumors 65816

these cards would be very simile in performance. Thats why a 7970M would be more worth it.

17. Rlnplehshalo macrumors regular

Yes but there are only two options for GPU the 6970m 1GB or 2GB on the High end 27" which was what raised my question.

18. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Nice.. I've been trying to "BTO" an Alienware M17x daily to see if the 680M shows up :)

Now when you say "pay this premium price".. compared to what? I would prefer Apple offer AMD choices and I would take a 7970m in a heartbeat. If Apple went Nvidia, I will take settle for no less than a 680M, even if it's only a BTO option in the top 27". The gulf in the performance from those two to the rest of pack is just too great. I'll silently (or perhaps not so silently) curse Nvidia for gouging and Apple for making that the only choice, but I will get the best GPU Apple allows me to get.

Apple doesn't really have the supply chain pull on these components that they have for their more exclusive stuff like Retina displays. So while I can hope they negotiated a far better price for Nvidia, I'm not counting on it.

19. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

Only products with big differences / added features. Perfect example is the latest retina Macbook Pro. Still a Macbook Pro (by name), but it has a premium price for a premium feature.

The price points will most likely remain the same if these iMacs are only getting 2012 hardware and no redesign. Since coming over to the Apple world in 2002, I've always seen more offered for the same price (ram, better cpu/gpu, and now more recently, better SSD options).

20. HurryKayne macrumors 6502a

I agree.
    Maybe the simplest truth is that Apple is building more Imacs possible
    for their release around Mountain Lion's one.
    How many week Apple uses normally to have the right number of Macs
    (per line) to face the first run of orders?
    ps.I hope to see the 7970 coming ,it makes sense,better price-power ratio,
    isn'it?

21. gagaliya macrumors 6502

YES,the ONLY reason i am getting an imac is because of its highend graphic card, this is the only aio in the world with a decent graphic card vs the **** that got put into the other windows aio.

So dont care what price, it will be mine. 7970m or 680m both are fine.

Just release this already :mad:

22. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

Definitely, the GTX 680m is probably the one thing I am most excited about.
    I also hope we see those Samsung 830's in there with a bit shaved off the pricing.

23. boto thread starter macrumors 6502

boto

Looks like the new GTX 680m got benchmarked and is a bit below in performance compared to the AMD 7970m :confused:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-680M.72679.0.html
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html

Although the framerates are below what is expected, I believe it's due to the over-clocking feature disabled. Nvidia mentioned somewhere in their new 680m features that it carries a 15% increase in performance whenever heavy duty gaming was needed. Otherwise, I hope the drivers won't disappoint.

24. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

Hmm. That is surprising.