Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Getting an idea of how much grunt you can have on tap when it's necessary, vs how much it costs when it's idle would be interesting.

If you are into that kind of stuff, then you need something like this. You can check all of your appliances too.

killawatt.jpg

registudio

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2013
Montreal, QC
As to the seller of stolen roms in NC, the guy is a nut job. Despite having no name recognition or past history as a Mac hacker, he actually has the nerve to accuse Netkas and I of stealing his rom. He also told someone that he believed that I was plotting to have him killed and claimed that he got death threats via late night phone calls from Italy, or some such nonsense. He even sent threatening emails to Netkas.

So, not only a lying crook but delusional as well.

WTF?
Incredible story this one. I thought we could see that only in movies, wrong I was ;o)

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
As to the seller of stolen roms in NC, the guy is a nut job. Despite having no name recognition or past history as a Mac hacker, he actually has the nerve to accuse Netkas and I of stealing his rom. He also told someone that he believed that I was plotting to have him killed and claimed that he got death threats via late night phone calls from Italy, or some such nonsense. He even sent threatening emails to Netkas.

Holy crap! I hope he got permantely banned from here.

Demigod Mac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Out of curiosity, a general question about the power draw of these new high end cards - what are they like at idle?

Since I went from a 2009 Mini with 3 external drives to a 4,1 Pro (GT-120 graphics) and all those drives running internally, I haven't had a quarterly power bill yet so I'm really not sure how much more juice this rig is burning through. Getting an idea of how much grunt you can have on tap when it's necessary, vs how much it costs when it's idle would be interesting.
OK, pulled out my Kill-a-Watt just for you. :p

Total system power - Mac Pro 5,1 - 3.46 GHz 6-core - Titan X:
120W - Idle OS X Yosemite
132W - Idle Windows 8.1
430W - FurMark torture test in Windows (99% TDP)

Might be a little high since I have every PCIe slot and hard drive bay occupied.
So you can interpret my numbers as "worst case scenario"

ilegal31

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2014
Hello,

I had made a few changes to the equipment that I am going to purchase, a Mac Pro (4,1 firmware updated to 5.1 - 12 core 3.33Ghz), a 4k monitor Samsung U28D590D, so I am left with $500 for the graphics card, any recommendations for an Nvidia card that supports 4k and fits the $500 budget?. Thanks.

Demigod Mac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Welp, I was able to get Titan X to overdraw on power and shut itself off. Replaced the thermal paste with the excellent Gelid GC-Extreme, which I theorize removed the temperature as a limiting factor, so during a Witcher 3 session it tried to go past what the Mac Pro could provide on internal power because it had more headroom temp-wise than the factory paste would allow. Not necessarily a bad thing - I used Nvidia Inspector to set the target temperature on 82°C and it made it through the same scene without an issue.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Welp, I was able to get Titan X to overdraw on power and shut itself off. Replaced the thermal paste with the excellent Gelid GC-Extreme, which I theorize removed the temperature as a limiting factor, so during a Witcher 3 session it tried to go past what the Mac Pro could provide on internal power because it had more headroom temp-wise than the factory paste would allow. Not necessarily a bad thing - I used Nvidia Inspector to set the target temperature on 82°C and it made it through the same scene without an issue.

I wouldn't dare use such a card without AUX power or the PSU mod. I want to keep my motherboard traces in good health.

Reactions: Tucom

Demigod Mac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008

Demigod Mac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
When power draw exceeds what the Mac can handle, does it shut off the entire Mac completely or just the video card?
The incident I describe, the Mac stayed on (the game was still running, too, could hear sound and everything still going), but I could not alt-tab or ctrl-alt-del - blank display until I forced a reboot. Wondering if the card did indeed overdraw power (or overheat? probably not likely) or if it's just a bug in the game.

benjaprud

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2015
There's a safety that shuts down the whole power supply if the power draw exceeds a certain limit (I've read somewhere that the limit is 10 amps on each of the PCIe cables, to be confirmed). Thanks to this safety measure we shouldn't worry about burning the motherboard traces. Your problem looks more like a game crash or GPU crash.

TheHerdForever

macrumors member
May 11, 2012
I have been completely unable to trip the cMP circuit breaker with Titan-X. It was possible to do so with past 780s and even 570s with some effort.

The cards use so little electricity it is hard to believe. The older Titans would turn the Mac Pro off like a light, right when Furmark went to full screen. You could set your watch by it.

The Titan-X is a high water mark for cMP. Incredible that is uses so little power.

MVC,

Of curiosity, what is the link speed of the Titan-X 12GB video card? 2.5 or 5 GT/s? I currently own a flashed Titan 6GB (purchased from you) and it's running at 2.5 GT/s. It's stable, but I'm wondering if I should get the Titan-X card. I do a lot of video and photo editing. Kinda wish the speed was at 5 GT/s with my current Titan.

netkas

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
It's 5 gt/s, check with cuda-z, not sys profiler.

Pinned, host to device and device to host should be around 5000

Ze1NmvT.png

Demigod Mac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Interesting test result on Titan X...

Ran Valley benchmark, 1st time at 100% max power (250W) and second time at 90% max power (capped at 225W) on Windows 10, using Nvidia Inspector to throttle.

NO DIFFERENCE, same score.

So basically this card will hit its thermal limit before its power draw limit on a Mac Pro's internal power.
If anything the 8 pin connector seems to be there for overclockers who have a more elaborate cooling setup.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Did you check the power draw if your card really pull 250W in total?

If it's always under 225W, your 90% limit virtually doing nothing, but an extra protection.

IMO, Valley benchmark is quite good to simulate real world usage, but not that power hunger. If you want to test power draw, the best is to run OCCT in full screen mode.

If your card hit the thermal limit, it's fan should run crazy fast to avoid overheat. The GPU run at 100% doesn't mean that the card is drawing 100% power. Valley benchmark may able to push the GPU to 100%, but not necessary power limiting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.