Nvidia heat causing Macbooks to fail

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ThomasJL, Dec 4, 2008.

1. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

Interesting.

Glad I got an early 2008 Blackbook, instead.

I am not sure how everyone thought that Nvidia, the chip maker who just dropped the ball big-time with their 8600 gpu's, would all of a sudden have their act together with their next round of gpu chips.....?

to this day I cannot figure out the logic of Apple deciding to use Nvidia in all their new Aluminum notebooks right after the 8600 debacle.

2. mosx macrumors 65816

The Inquirer has been known to make up information to make nvidia look bad in the past.

Ever since nvidia snuffed them a few years ago they've pretty much made it their goal to post anything that makes nvidia look bad. Anything.

Their entire story is based on Apple Insider stories that were based on a couple of support forum threads at Apple.com that read more like "he said she said" nonsense than real news.

I have an aluminum MacBook and I play UT3 and GRID on it regularly and I have yet to have a single issue.

3. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

does not mean it is not true.

The article does seem to go along with the fact that many people are getting a "black screen/lockup" while doing what Apple said these new notebooks would be able to do–play games.

Lots of threads about this at the Apple support discussions forum.

4. StuBeck macrumors 6502

Wouldn't the design of the macbook come into play as well?

5. No1451 macrumors 6502

Yes it would, generally, no matter how ridiculously hot a chip runs it can be accounted for.

Reading the article, I don't buy it, a BX revision IS NOT A BAD THING. My cpu in my gaming PC is a G0 revision, and its generally held to be the chip you hope to get. A stepping revision just means that they corrected some issues, and hopefully eliminated them entirely.

As for these issues with lockup, I have yet to notice any of the issues noted in this article, I played Fallout 3 for hours on this thing, running it at the max that my machine could handle, and I didn't see this dreaded black screen. Just hoping these chips don't go the way of the 8600M, which DOES have serious issues.