nVidia issue - preemptive replacement?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by h00ligan, Mar 6, 2011.

1. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Just curious, are apple repairing all units.. or only those showing signs. I gather there is a tester for it, wondering if they test on devices working as planned.

I had sent my mbp in due to something (I really can't remember why) and they replaced the mainboard.. so I am curious if this could still be an issue, or if it was rectified.

Can we see all repairs based on serial? If so, anyone know where?

Cheers for the info!

2. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

They do not just test them to see, they wait for problems first. I have had my 8600 fail 3 times now... just had it fail less than a month ago. I'm happy to have replaced that machine now. AFAIK there is no database where you can lookup units that have been replaced and yes, there is a dedicated tester for the issue.

3. h00ligan thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks for the info, I looked in my repair history (my own email) and saw I sent it in for 'garbled video' in April of 2009. Honestly I have zero recollection other than they replaced the mainboard. I wonder if those replacement units had fixed the issue by then!

4. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

When my first one failed, apple didnt even know there was an issue. When my second one failed, they were well aware, had the tester and told me that all replacements from then on were good chips that would not fail. Well, obviously they were wrong since mine failed a few weeks ago... when they replace the GPU they replace the whole logic board so yours was obviously replaced once. The good thing is that there is no set expiration for the 8600 warranty. I didn't even have apple care and they still replaced mine, my MBP will be 4 years old in June. Apparently nVidia is reimbursing Apple for every single one of these replacements so it's really no money out of Apple's pocket to do the repair.

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Yes, they had identified and fixed the issue by that point in time, so you do not have one of the known faulty GPU's. Doesn't completely rule out future failures, but it shouldn't be because of the particular issue that was so common.

jW