Nvidia issues with Windows over all

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by makaveli559m, Sep 22, 2012.

1. makaveli559m macrumors 6502

Hi I got a problem that I was able to fix on a 2009 MacBook Pro it invovles Nvidia and Stand By on Windows. When I got to stand by than resume the graphics get stuck on full throttle unless I reboot. Even on battery card doesnt throttle down. I really dont like that issue at all.

2. HerrT macrumors newbie

I guess, I know your problem with NVidia and also the solution for it. Please tell me, how do you fix it. I have an 2009 MacBook Pro too. Look forward to get helpful informations from you.

3. makaveli559m thread starter macrumors 6502

On MacBook Pro 2009 you to have powermizer installed because the drivers dont install any type of power management and you to have to go to regedit you have to change some numbers in the powermizer settings from 2233 to 3333 because some how the settings are not always remembered and you have to reboot it. I have a 2010 model and it has a similiar issue, I came up with a theory why other than just the power management does a Mac run hot on Windows. On Mac OS X you can use the graphics and it turns off one card when not in use, in part that reduces heat. Now in Windows using monitoring software I have found that even if the second video card doesnt read in Windows it is still active and that causes more heat than it should. I wish Apple would open up there driver manangement to Windows users to enable uses to use which graphics card they want to use.

4. HerrT, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012

HerrT macrumors newbie

Great to hear, that there's another Mac User, who find the reason for this very annoying error. Would like to know, if it's not a NVidia error in general, cause I used a HP Elitebook HP 8530w with NVidia Quadro FX 770M before I bought my MBPu17 Mid 2009, which also shows these freezes. I find a very handful little program called PowerMizer Manager v1.1, which let me change the energy saving level while running my system. So I also could reproduce the freezes. I used the render test inside GPU-Z. With driver version 261.41 of NVidias mobile GeForce driver I could set it to Med. Perf / Med. PowerSave, but with the most new one(306.23), I had to set Max. Perf / Min. PowerSave. So to reduce the heat, I will stay on the older one. Additionally I use LubbosFanControl(needs .Net Framework v4.0.30319) with a temperature range from 45 to 75 degree and RPM range from 1800 to 4500. This way I keep a quiet, but cooler system.

I also wish, Apple would open there device management. Last 2 days I tried to setup Windows 7 with EFI, without the BootCamp bios emulation, but with no success till now. With Windows 8 I could setup and saw both graphic devices, although the 9600M GT couldn't be initialized - a little further step! Btw. this activates also the nforce S-ATA AHCI mode, which I would need to use the lifetime enhancing TRIM feature for my 256 GB Samsung SSD.

Okay, so much for now. Please could you tell me, how I can send a private message, cause I would like to contact some users directly?

Look forward to hear more about your experiences.

5. makaveli559m thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi I am install trying other things to make the Windows experience good on mac hardware. I see that its the Boot Camp drivers that are causing the heat issues and not Windows it self. If their is a way to get only the Boot Camp part to control the screen and volume keys that would be good. While to see if any drivers for all the hardware could be found elsewhere it would be better.