NVidia MacPro 8800 Drivers

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by offshoresa65s, May 5, 2008.

1. offshoresa65s macrumors member

Hi

From the reading I've done it's apparent that the NVidia 8800 card that ships as an option for the MacPro (jan '08) is slow for Pro App's.

I've read at some sites that this may be remedied by NVidia by rewriting / releasing updated drivers for this card.

What's the likely hood of this?

Does anyone know of this happening before?

Or is there something in the architecture of the card that makes it maxed out?

I'm not annoyed at NVidia as I wanted a reliable card.

I just fried my 4th ATI (Retail) 9800 Pro 128 MB card in my Digital Audio PowerMac in the space of three years. I can't believe how many of these cards have been so unreliable. The first three were replaced under warranty.

Cheers

O

2. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Rumor has it that improved drivers are part of the (currently under development) 10.5.3 update. Nothing will be known, however, until its released.

As for your machine, do be aware that the nVidia GeForce 8800GT that people have been discussing will not in any way, shape or form work in your PowerMac.

I'm surprised by the issues you've had with the R9800. I've had one in a PowerMac G4 Gigabit Ethernet for over a year without any trouble (flashed PC card purchased off eBay but otherwise new).

3. jrnewhouse macrumors member

jrnewhouse

Sorry to hear that you had so much trouble. I had a 9800XT 256 MB card in my PowerMac G5, and I loved it. It did a great job for the three years that I owned it.

4. faumble macrumors regular

on the windows side Nvidia will definitely continue developing the drivers since the new video cards 9000 versions use the same chip as the 8000 versions.