NVidia MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mothy, Feb 11, 2009.

1. mothy macrumors newbie

I have a MBP 15", 2.4GHZ C2D, 4GB RAM and 200GB HD (NVidia 8600M GT) purchased last may (2008). I am very happy with it, but the much discussed NVidia problem has started to get me a little concerned and I am geting a little paranoid.

I have noticed the following issues.

- Occasionally I get rapidly flashing random rectangles that fill the whole screen., like an old Windows Screen saver. Makes the machine unusable, a reboot cures this. This seems to be related to running Fusion and Screen Saving. i.e. I believe it only happens when I wake the machine after it is sleeping.
    - Quite frequently, I get 'drippy' text. ??? This happens at least once a day. The text 'sticks' and when I scroll it looks like it drips or streaks up and down the screen. Imagine a ink stamp being dragged up the screen. This happens in both TextMate and Camino (where I spend most of my time)
    - Video playback is awful. This never happens when the machine is first turned on, it happens in the afternoon/evening after many hours of work. The videos/animations just become garbage, not lag/buffer but 'chunkified' with rectangles jumping in the video window. Think of a 3x3 sliding puzzle, parts of the video sliding and fragmenting all over the window.

I *know* that if it GPU related, then within the first 2 minutes of the next big demo/presentation it will stop working completely.

My questions to the wise collective:

- Does this sound like a GPU symptom, as described in the silent recall
    - At what point (if ever) will Apple stop replacing Logic boards in the MBP and offer a part exchange program for a new MBP?

--
    mothy

2. iaymnu macrumors 6502

When in doubt call/visit :apple: and find out.

But it does sound like the gpu.